Friday, March 03, 2006

music denominations


I got this black t-shirt for my birthday.

Here is the story…
My sister-n-law got it for me from a friend of her’s. He designed it. He said “Forrest, will love it.”

Flash back one and half years:

I met him at a party. As I was introduced to him, I was told he was really into music. Great! I love to talk music. But there is a lot of music out there in the world, and the kind of music he was really into was not really my favorite style to get excited about. His music denomination was that of hard rock, grunge rock, nu metal, etc. I am very eclectic in my taste and I can find common ground with just about anybody when it comes to music. We had a good conversation and talked most of the night. I like a person who likes music. I found where our musical denomination paths crossed and focused on the common ground that we believed in without having to tell him that I didn’t care to much for some of his other bands.

Although I met him only once, I am glad he thought of me when he designed this shirt.

Another story at my wife’s friend’s wedding:

You know how weddings are. I didn’t know many people, but this was the big fat Greek wedding – so it was very entertaining. At the reception, the room was getting quite hot, so I walked out to the balcony for some fresh air – just like in the movies. I was introduced to another guy from Portland and was told that he was really into music. Great! I can talk music. (So what denomination are you) what band do you like? He was a fan of the jam bands. Again, it’s not a style that I care a lot for. Jam bands are known for the live shows – where they literally jam-out for 20 minutes on every song and for their rabid fan base who will follow the band around. I respect that most of the bands are good musicians, but I am just not into that. It’s a hippie crowd. We had a good time talking though, and we through a lot of bands back and forth to check out hoping to win him over to my denomination.

Before this conversation, I was talking college football with a group of guys. It’s nice to know a little about everything.

So, who can name the bands on this t-shirt? And bonus points for the person who can identify the band that doesn’t belong with the others.

9 comments:

shakedust said...

I think BB will have to answer the band names.

It's nice to find common conversational ground when you meet someone new. I hate the awkward, "so... what do you think of this weather?"

roamingwriter said...

I am the same about band names as I am about movie stars... who's that who sings that one song? What's his name who was in that movie, you know?

However based on the shirt, I can imagine the music style and I think I can go for some of that now and then.

Anonymous said...

r-iron maiden
o-motley crue
c-ACDC
k-kiss

a-metalica
d-the doors
d-def leopard
i-?
c-?
t-?

can't make out the "ict" but i'm going to guess that the doors don't belong.

Stephanie said...

I know, I know. But Forrest told me, so I can't play.

f o r r e s t said...

Eddle - good job so far. You are right about the Doors. They probably don't belong, but their is another that doesn't belong.

I thought for sure you would get the "T."

Clues:
"I" a mans name.
"C" a venomous bug
"T" no clue on this one yet.

f o r r e s t said...

Seminole - did I have to tell you or didn't you know because your from Rapid City, SD?

Dash said...

I was just impressed that I knew R,K, A, and D(ef Leppoard).

Is "C" Scorpions or something like that?

f o r r e s t said...

Dash you are correct.
C is for Scorpion.

Stephanie said...

Magrelo actually did better than I did. I have no attention to detail, but did have many of the shirts that yours refrences.