Thursday, March 09, 2006

27th and Paseo

On Tuesday, several of us in the office toured a project near completion that is located near 27th and Paseo. A few guys had been working on an old hospital that had been abandoned for nearly 30 years. They were converting it into Residences for low-income seniors over 55 years of age. The building was originally a Christian Hospital built by the local church (back in 1880’s?) to give medical services to those who could not afford healthcare. The units are a modest two bedroom with high ceilings. I believe there are 16 floors – I can’t recall.

We went up to the roof deck and the view of downtown was spectacular. We stayed on the roof deck for about 20 minutes. The weather was nice and I was taking in the sites of our city. I wish I had my camera. Life is good.

Here are few pictures that I did not take, but were taken by a coworker last fall.




4 comments:

shakedust said...

I love cityscapes. I'd bet that looks cool at night.

windarkwingod said...

That project just proves that there are incredible places to live all over the world. Even here in sunny Spain I miss Kansas City. Before I left my KC I was out with my parents and they confessed to me that I had been conceived in the top floor of an old house just on the southside of Quick Trip on Rainbow blvd. HA! Things I miss that surprise me: The Mexican culture (food, style, attitude) The Black culture (only a very very small number of Africans here...) The 1920's gangster-ghost feel of downtown & almost knowing where every street goes in the metro area... and seeing the possibilities around every corner. KC is a really cool place and should be kept a secret!

roamingwriter said...

Yes, the pics give me a spot of homesickness. Nice skyline.

I once toured an old hospital for work, a different one, over towards the northeast. It was built in the 60s by the VA I think. and abandoned shortly thereafter. It was really weird inside like the rapture had come and left everything in tact from 1966 or something. Great location for a creepy movie.

GoldenSunrise said...

Roaming, don't forget Evangel's campus. I believe it used to be a hospital also. Most of the barracks are gone now.