Friday, March 17, 2006

last days of winter 2006


I finally have a new mix of music to give to my friends. I have been compiling these songs the last couple of weeks. It is always the last couple of song to pick out that take the longest to give it the right mood. Those songs are not necessarily the the last in chronological order. They are the ones to make the whole thing flow together.

With only a few days left in this winter season this project got name the "last days of winter 2006." (Now I don't have to explain to Dust why this is so late in the season.)

Darwin, I promise you that one of these days I'll be mailing a few of these mixes over to you in Spain. Now that I have your permenant address, I really need to get on that.

The theme of this record is Late night vibe with different moods.

1.1. the violet burning…more

a good opener with a strong repetitive beat and a slow layering of instruments.

2.2. mogwai…acid food
3. 3. trespassers william…i don’t mind
4.4. delirious…all this time

these next three go from mellow vibey to noisey vibes and the back to mellow and grand.

5.5. laura veirs…galaxies

this song acts as a change in direction with an indie cool electric folk vibe with some spacey synth's.

6. 6. joy electric…the romantic balloons
7. 7. broadcast…america’s boy
8.8. depeche mode…a pain that i’m used to

these next three showcase electronic bands which contrast the previous song.

9. 9. U2…the first time
10.10. sigur ros…hoppipolla

these two songs start the healing process from the pain of depeche mode.

11. 11. faultline (featuring chris martin)…where is my boy
12.12. portishead…pedestal
13.13. viva voce…high highs
14. 14. the beta band…squares

these next four songs enter into a trip-hop vibe.

15.15. starflyer 59…a good living
16. 16. embrace…ashes
17.17. stars…calendar girl

the next three go from sad to anthemic to sing the months of the year and hopeful.

18.18. my bloody valentine…all i need
19.19. clap your hands say yeah…in this home on ice

here are a couple of good noisy songs

20. 20. norway (featuring ronnie martin)…a future

topped off with an all out electronic dance number.


3 comments:

shakedust said...

I've been enjoying the music in my car. Thanks for the CD!

windarkwingod said...

I would like a copy! Only, I think the title here might be "the last days before the dirt starts baking and you sweat in bed..." Fun to see the selections - gives me a heads' up on what you guys are listening to!

roamingwriter said...

I too enjoy the compilations. Was listening to a Bill Mallonee ansemble you did for us and went to look at the lyrics before I realized I don't have them. ha!