Tuesday, March 14, 2006

a dentist visit

My teeth are all jangle-ly right now. They are all a little loose and gritty. This happens after every visit, but they’ll be back to normal tomorrow.

I went to the Dentist this morning.

I used to be worried about going to the dentist. I would be nervous the night before and nervous in the waiting room and nervous in the chair. But since I have been going faithfully every 6 months for 10 plus years, the routine is old hat. I am even okay when the dentist occasionally finds a cavity and needs to do a filling.

Experience does wonders for your confidence.

I know the routine. I sit on the chair and wait for my cup of mouthwash to swish for 30 seconds. Put on the heavy bib for x-rays (once a year.) The dental hygienist will then measure my gums and then give me a small lecture about the importance of flossing. She then uses a tool with a sharp point to scrap off plaque pausing for moments to spray water and suck it out of my mouth. I then get a fancy tooth brushing and polishing by a device that I have never gotten a good look at. Today’s flavor was cinnamon. She then flosses my teeth and calls in the dentist.

The Dentist comes in and calls me by my name and adds in a “howya doin’ buddy.” He is a real nice guy and has restored my faith in people with needles and drills in my mouth. He knows my family. My sister was in the same class as his daughter. We do the typical small talk – KU Jayhawks are looking good and my Dad and his latest Russian adventure.

Your teeth are looking great – my dentist says after poking for cavities (and I guess looking at my x-rays, which he did behind me) all of which took about 20 seconds.

I collect my new toothbrush and mini pack of dental floss, say my thank you’s and leave. All of which took about 30 minutes. See you in 6 months!

5 comments:

roamingwriter said...

I used to be afraid of the dental hygenist at my dentist office. She was old and she snapped the floss so hard between my teeth I about jumped out of the chair on each tooth. The new hygenist is much better. Last time Dr. O actually did the flossing and it was the best yet. He is the Dad of a guy I went to high school with, so we have talks about old classmates of mine. He actually gave me permission not to go to the dentist for 3 years since I would be gone.

GoldenSunrise said...

Our cat Autum went to the dentist today too. Hopefully her breath will be better.

Keep up the good work!

f o r r e s t said...

Roamer - permission to not see the dentist for 3 years - that is good news to hear.

Golden - let me know how that cat breath is tonight, because our dog has some nasty breath.

shakedust said...

That's one of those things that it is nice to have behind you for a while.

I haven't gone in a bit. I know I should.

f o r r e s t said...

Dust,it seems like on my previous visit to the Dentist 6 months ago you said the same thing.

I figure if I keep my regular check-ups then nothing major will sneak up on me. Now if only I did that with the doctor.