Tuesday, March 07, 2006

eating healthy

Vernal and I are trying to eat healthy. We both want to loose some weight and overall become healthier in diet and fitness.

The hardest part is getting started, to cross that threshold that says from this point “no more.” Picking a time to start was difficult. After this weekend or the next and then there is a bit of a binge before you start.

I struggle with moderation when it comes to things that taste good. I hope to learn to control my portions and will power. I can’t eat just one Hershey’s Kiss, I must have 10.

We have been doing this for a couple of weeks now. At first it was really difficult after dinner, when I wanted something sweet to munch on – like chocolate. Those after dinner cravings are now starting to go away.

My saving grace for a sweet dessert has been diet soda pop. I am not a big fan of diet; I would rather have the real thing, but it does satisfy that sweet that I desire. Since diet doesn’t taste as good, I seem to drink a 12oz. slower than I would if it was a regular. I am a little concerned about drinking too much diet soda, so I am trying to limit myself to one can a day.

I do like diet Dr. Pepper, Pibb Zero, Fresca, diet A&W, and diet Cokes. When it comes to Coke there are so many to choose from. At home, I have diet Coke with Splenda and it’s not that good. Coke Zero is the best when it comes to flavor.

So for lunch today, I will have chicken with a cucumber salad and a sort of coleslaw salad and an apple.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

I LOVE diet A&W, but I feel better about drinking Diet Rite because it's made with Splenda. It seems like eating healthier is more expensive too!

f o r r e s t said...

Which is your favorite Diet Rite flavor?

I need to try TAB. What is the flavor of TAB?

It is more expensive to eat healthy. It seems like we are now going to the grocery store all the time.

T said...

When we are eating healthier the grocery bill balances out. We don't grab as many meals at McD's and we don't do as many runs for soda--which adds up in our house hold fast. We have been doing the "eating healthier" thing for a couple weeks too. My kids LOVE it! But they've always been a fan of vegies and fruit for snacks!

Dash said...

Go coke zero!!!

As I've mentioned to some of you ... coke zero is actually diet coke classic. Diet Coke is actually diet "new coke" .. aothought it came before new coke - anyways.... I'm drinking the gold cans now (caffiene fee diet coke) I know, I know - what's the point?

As a result though, I'm drinking more water.

roamingwriter said...

I would like to cut snacks from my diet. I nearly cried looking in a pastrie shop window from wanting to try everything and knowing my waistline can't take the calories. I miss having so many diet sodas available, very few here, but the diet coke here is a lot sweeter - I often think it's the real thing. If you want decaf and diet here- you gotta go to a big grocery store.

shakedust said...

The biggest problem I have with eating healthy is that few healthy foods fill me up, so I eat healthy, then I fill up on the unhealthy stuff.