Friday, March 31, 2006

downtown

I like working downtown.

The weather is nice today.

I have a couple of projects that are downtown. We I need to visit the buildings that I am working on, I walk to their location. It is cool to think that I am taking a nice walk through the city, because that is part of my job.

Today, I had to take some measurements of the existing conditions for the 4th floor of this old skyscraper. So, I got to take a walk outside.

We visited the building last week and got the full tour. The first four floors will be used as office and the remaining 30 stories are in the process of being converted into residential units. The lady who is in charge of selling these units to potential buyers gave us a tour. She took us to the 17th floor and showed us the model unit. It was fully furnished and quite nice. It was a two bedroom with spectacular views. She showed us a few more units and then took us down to the 5th floor. These two bedroom units have these huge roof decks that would be excellent for entertaining. I would be tempted, if we were childless. Can you imagine walking to work. That would be great.

9 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

As you can tell, this was an exercise in free form writing. Remember the days that your teacher made you write and if you didn't know what to write, that is what you wrote.

I didn't know what I was going to write about until I put the first two sentences down.

It's quittin' time I gotta go...see ya.

GoldenSunrise said...

Yeah, I remember my teacher made us write in journals. She said to use a stream of consciousness (sp?) approach. Write down whatever comes in your mind.

Walking to work would be great in the summer. Maybe not winter.

f o r r e s t said...

2 blocks?? That's not bad.

Stephanie said...

I love the idea of the rooftop decks. It's very movie-ish.

shakedust said...

Yeah, rooftop decks are cool. I don't know if I could get into urban living, but if I could that is how I'd like it.

roamingwriter said...

I like the idea of urban living, until it's time for the grocery store or some convenience thing. I have to have outdoor space that's my own. A roof deck would probably work. Also I want to feel safe enough to walk by myself, preferably even at night. If I can't walk a hypothetical dog at night due to the neighborhood, I can't live there. Or I guess I could get a permit and carry a weapon. That would be cool too. (a slightly wicked grin.)

The kids thing would be a problem too. They could play on the big patio if it was fenced well enough but what about school and friends and riding bikes? There's still something to be said for the burbs too.

Dash said...

Getting paid for going on a walk is cool.

A couple of winters ago, when I visited the Jaksonville Florida site, they were renting several buildings in an office complex that surrounded a nifty lake. Two or three times a day, I "had to" walk from one building to the other along the water.

Since I was the visiting trainer, there wasn't any email or voicemail to check (or meetings); so I'd just buy another iced tea on the ol' company card and sit at one of the picnic tables between classes.

One of the managers said that they occasionally had 'gators in the lake, so I convinced myself I was watching for them .... in reality I was just squeezing every moment of outdoor bliss I could get.

f o r r e s t said...

It must be safe, we're in KC, right? When I leave at night, I see a lot young men and women walking their dogs to the grassy area so they can wiz...the dog that is.

shakedust said...

Yeah, the people use the parking garages... or is that only in Westport?