Thursday, March 02, 2006

little things

It is amazing how one little thing can change your day.

February 28th was my one year anniversary at my current job. The year has flown by and I still feel new. I came in to work that day with every intention of working on project B.

But I had an email from the city waiting for me at 7:45 about project A. Project A is being reviewed by the city for Permit to build. The city needed a detail to clarify a portion of the code. I spent most of that day drawing up that detail and getting the drawings to the city for project A. Not a big deal, but I hadn’t planned on it….6-1/2 hours because of one email.

It is amazing how one little thing can change your day.

March 1st was going normal until I got a phone call just before noon. Goose had fallen off of a makeshift balance beam in our back yard and hurt his arm. He was crying badly on the phone. Vernal said he wanted to see Daddy. I went home during lunch and found him asleep in his bed. He doesn’t nap – this was a cry yourself to sleep.

I slowly woke him up. He was in pain. I looked at his arm and touched it. It hurt. He had a long sleeve shirt on and I couldn’t pull it up. The pain seemed to be around the elbow. I hadn’t seen him hurt like this before. Vernal called the doctor. He was laying so still with his arm flat. His face was quivering and he couldn’t fight back the tears.

What did I wake him up for? He needed to see me. We prayed.

I had to go back to work. He told me to stay. I felt a heavy load on my soul all afternoon waiting to find out the result and waiting for my son to be his usual self. The doctor sent them to get x-rays and found that he had a buckle fracture above his elbow. I guess this happens a lot to kids and heals easy. He is in a splint and won’t get a cast until Friday morning.

To my relief, he was back to his normal self when I came home. We went in the backyard to lower the angle of the balance beam and he wanted to help as usual. He grabbed the beam with his one arm and moved it with me. He then wanted to play on it. He was walking the balance beam and climbing up the swing set with one arm. I am a nervous wreck. The arm is not casted yet. I could barely get him to come inside. He was also very disappointed that we were not going to his Sunbeams group at church.

Later that night, I went to read books with him in bed. I asked him how his day was.

“It was a great day, dad.”

“…but you hurt your arm today.”

“Oh, I’m okay, Dad. I’m fine.”

“…but you fell and you broke your arm.”

“My arm is not broken. I’m okay.”

I am proud of that boy!

4 comments:

shakedust said...

He a tough one! Already getting over his first broken bone. I'd be a bit more of a sissy about it, I am sure. :)

T said...

Wow. Tough little guy. Like you said, little things can really change your day.

windarkwingod said...

I always knew Goose was tough.

GoldenSunrise said...

He is a trooper. Is this a sign of things to come? Already a broken bone at 3 years old. : ) So this is what it is like having an active boy.