Wednesday, August 03, 2005

music snobbery

To the average music listening person - those who buy fewer than 10 cd's a year (if I can make a bold classification, but don't know if it is accurate) - I might seem like a music snob, because I love music and take it a bit serious. I have definite opinions on music (and I have to admit that I have great tastes.) Just like someone, who is more well read than I am, may suggest and encourage me to read a book they like; I too like to challange ones ears with new music.

To the serious music fan - those who have a wish list of music to buy when the funds become available - I am someone who can spend an evening talking about great songs or a great band or what is good about music today or what is bad about music today. We have a lot of commonality, because we are always pursuing good music and feel the love when we can share it. We like to make mixes for each other and comment on the mood of the mix and are always excited to learn about an undiscovered band. I always learn and expand my taste from these people, because they are different from me. Yes, we may share some commonalities yet they may lean a bit in a different direction than I would generally go.

To the music snob - those who feel they have an elitist taste and view of music and are generally unimpressed with all music unless they discovered it and then dislike them once they release a major studio ablum - I generally don't like you. Your not very fun to talk to, boring in fact. These people forget that music can also be fun or something to shake your hips to. There is not an exchange of ideas, no give and take. They try to be too cool for guilty pleasures or anything remotely mainstream and can't admit a good song, because of the snob code they live by. I generally avoid music talk with these people.

Anyway, I was visiting one of my favorite music discussion groups online where music fans and snobs alike are present talking about music and I found an interesting exhange that made me go "YES!"

Music Fan A:
Have you heard the new song by XXXXXX band that is posted on their PureVolume website. It is so good and beautiful! I can't wait to hear the new album.

Music Snob B:
It's alright, but I'd listen to their first album from 1996 if you want to hear good and beautiful, because everything they have done since then has gone downhill.

(I like the commentary of this next guy)
Music Fan C:
you just experienced the unique dynamic that lives on this board; show enthusiasm and get deflated by indie snobs everywhere. here's how you stay alive round these parts, be stoic, remain unmoved by even the most beautiful music and be cynical about everything. Always express your displeasure of anything you see posted here and NEVER EVER admit you like anything but if you have to, just say "they're okay." hope this helps.

...and one more thing NEVER use exclamation points, they'll just get you into a whole lot of trouble.



6 comments:

Dash said...

hmmmmmmmm ..... I wonder how many years I would have to count back to get to 10 CDs? Does buying 10 old CDs for a penny from one of those clubs count? Can I count gifts CDs and box sets?

I've also experienced the pain of admitting that you like an artist. It sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(extra exclamations added for witty sarcastic emphasis)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GoldenSunrise said...

I was telling Dust last night that I would like to take a music history or art history class. I know that I am not a well-rounded person in those areas. Hopefully I will have enough motivation to do some reading/research on my own.

shakedust said...

That's quite a huge step for Golden, too. :)

Interestingly, I have known a lot of music snobs, but also technology snobs, movie snobs, literature snobs, etc.

It always seems to work the same way. There is a group of people who don't know much about the subject in question (newbies) and a group of people who do. Those know a lot about the topic and who see the world as populated by those who know and those who don't tend to be snobs. Those who know a lot but are more interested in enjoying the subject and seeing others enjoy it are the fans.

windarkwingod said...

HA! That exchange between A, B, and C was SO correct! My CD collection would be burned up as chaff in many a snob's public obscurantist bonfire. Its sad that they lift themselves up on the back of true fans. The hard thing for snob's is that they live under their own tyranny. BTW for a really cool guy, check out:
http://www.istanbul.tc/mahir/mahir/

f o r r e s t said...

Dar,
I think snobs would have a hard time coming up with reasons to bash your Aborignal Didgeridoo, Native American Indian Chants, Turkish Folk songs,Traditional Chinese, Hawian Luau, and Swedish Speed Metal CDs in your collection (to name a few.)

Anonymous said...

This is funny! I have been shafted by the snobs. I am more a fan of music.