Monday, August 15, 2005

Hey DJ! Paint me a SONG...or a few quick thoughts on painting and mixtapes and staying up way to late

I spent several late nights this weekend painting. (3:30am & 2:30am)
In the old days, I used to work into the wee hours of the night without any thought of what tomorrow may bring.
It was so easy to get into the flow and just go until you felt like you were at a stopping point or finished.
That is all different now. First, getting married and second, having kids. I can no longer be selfish with my time by staying up super late and then sleeping in until noon or later. But, it still fun to do every once in a while, and there is a price to pay – lack of sleep. The funny thing is that when I finally lay down at 3:30 to sleep, I can't. My mind is racing.

I love to listen to albums in their entirety. It is an audible pleasure to listen to the artist’s complete vision in one sitting. Finding time to do so is very difficult these days in our fast paced culture. If I can steal a term form my high school days that is now not so much a function but an idea and therefore the idea behind the name will be eternal, I love to make “mixtapes.” Mixtapes are no longer on tapes for me but on CD’s and now I can make copies for my friends. Mixtapes are also playlists that I can create on my ipod. I love the idea of finding songs that fit together to create a perfect mood. For instance, autumn has a sound. I love to puts songs together to recreate “that” autumn sound.

Painting is the perfect opportunity to listen to hours of music. This weekend, I was in a more mixtape mood. I plugged my ipod into the stereo and hit shuffle. My ipod was given full trust to play DJ and mix up the songs for me. She did a good job of setting the right mood for the evening. It is always exciting to see what will come next.

5 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

Did you paint the beagle and the bunny?

You have had some good CD mixes. Sometimes the songs pop up on a tv show or movie and I recognize them from one of your CD's.

f o r r e s t said...

Yes, I am in the process of painting the beagle and the bunny.

I have been in the mood to make another mix. It has been a while and my ipod has really taken over. I am thinking fall2005.

shakedust said...

There is nothing better than enjoying a movie or music or a good book at 3 in the morning. If you have to get up in the morning it is kind of a drag, though.

roamingwriter said...

Debating whether a late night Spanish outting is worth the lack of sleep tonight in fact. It sounds like we won't be in control of the leaving time and it's not near where we live...hmmm.

f o r r e s t said...

Roamer, go for it. You can always sleep later. Like when you are 72!