Monday, August 08, 2005

Lake ot the Ozarks

(a quick and non-descriptive overview)

This weekend, Vernal and I went down to the Lake of the Ozarks with the young adult group at our church. We left Goose with my parents and took Turkey with us.

We took the 3 hour drive Saturday morning and arrived at the hotel around 11 o’clock. We killed some time down at the dock until lunch time. All of our meals were great. They have a kitchen staff at the Hotel that prepared all of our meals for us. We ate well.

Between Saturday and Sunday, we accomplished all of our objectives to have a satisfying weekend: We swam; we played with the wave runners; we took a sunset boat ride; we went tubing behind the boat; we avoided sunburns; and we got to hang out and play games.

The lake water felt great – it was the perfect temperature. Your hair always feels a little thicker after getting out of the lack. The hotel also has a swimming pool. So after swimming down by the docks, we jumped in the chlorinated pool to rinse off. The pool also had a diving board, so Vernal was able to go through her series of dives and flips that she perfected as a kid at the local pool.

After dinner, Vernal, Turkey and I got on the Pontoon boat for a slow cruise and tour of the area as the sun set. There is something relaxing about the lake, the lake air, the breeze, and the rock of the boat that put Turkey to sleep. (We also took him out for another boat ride and again he feel asleep.)

Later that night, we got a good group of people together to play some indoor volleyball at the gymnasium next door. The competition was fierce and friendly - a lot of laughing and posturing. We must have played for 2-3 hours?!?

Late later that night, we played games in the basement floor of the hotel (which was a meeting hall area that we took over for our group.) Some people played into the wee hours of the night (3:30am.) I called it quits after midnight, because we do have the baby with us.

On the way home, we took a detour over to Osage Beach to check out the Outlet Malls. I need to do a little shopping for some work clothes.

10 comments:

shakedust said...

Sounds like it was a fun trip. Last year I think things moved a little slower than how you describe this year.

f o r r e s t said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
f o r r e s t said...

Slower - is that a good thing or bad thing?

The trip was nice, because there is the opportunity to do as much or as little as you'd like or move at a fast or slow pace.

You choose your own adventure!

windarkwingod said...

I love to go to sleep on pontoon boats! I've often wondered what it would be like to spend the night on one in the middle of the lake...

shakedust said...

Not better or worse, I just remember sitting around a lot. I think part of that was from the fact that I didn't go waterskiing with the group last year, though. :)

f o r r e s t said...

I kinda dread going waterskiing or tubing with a group. Don't get me wrong, the actual event of riding the tube or skis is worth it, but there is a big time chunk of being out on the boat stopping and going, waiting for everyone to get their turn. Really, it's not that bad I guess, but I prefer riding the wave runner. With the wave runner you can hang or swim at the dock until it's your turn - more to do.

GoldenSunrise said...

I remember Dust being too sore from tubing on Saturday that on Sunday we just sat around. If we would have taken our own car, we would probably have left earlier. If we go next year, we will probably take our own vehicle.

Dust and I aren't really water people. I can't swim that well, and I remember being scared swimming off the dock. I would probably have enjoyed the hotel pool. I don't think it was open last year.

f o r r e s t said...

I went tubing on Sunday and my upper body is still sore today.

It did seem like this year's trip had more people and more to do. The gym was open, which had volleyball, ping pong, air hockey, fuseball, and arcade games. It did seem like there was a group of people who stayed out of the water and did stuff at our group room in the hotel.

Next year it would be fun to go into osage beach for a movie or icecream or minigolf at night.

roamingwriter said...

Sounds fun. I am enjoying a summer involving beaches and swimming pools. Normally I go to a pool once or twice a year. I'm not much of a swimmer either but I always enjoy a party - and of course games.

Anonymous said...

A burglar has stolen your profile picture! I can see him still in the room with the flashlight!!!