Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Art Unleashed concept sketch

Above is an image of a painting I donated to be auctioned off at an event called Art Unleashed. I have donated artwork for the last 3 years. All the money raised goes to benefit Wayside Waifs, an animal shelter. All the artwork must be "pet themed" and so I have done a series of paintings of my pet - Molly the Beagle.

The event takes place in late August, which means if I participate this year, I need to submit my artwork within the next week. I have been thinking about the painting, trying to come up with ideas in my mind, drawing a few sketches here and there. I want to do something similiar to the painting above, I have used that beagle image on several paintings. I like the look of the beagle being broken down into straight lines and being outlined in bold black lines. Whimsy is the theme I am going for -and that seems to work well with "pet art."

This year I wanted to put the beagle with her arch enemy, the bunny rabbit. Molly goes crazy over rabbits, especially on walks. The funny thing about her is that she uses her nose and not her eyes. She'll follow the scent trail of the rabbit roaming around in crazy directions and miss seeing the rabbit resting 10 feet away. The rabbit will then dash away, and Molly will then see her and the chase begins until she reaches the end of her leash.

I came up with this little sketch yesterday. It came to me at work, so I drew it on a 3x3 post-it note. I think this is the look and layout that I'll go with. I'll post more photos once I start laying it out on the canvas and get a finshed product.

8 comments:

shakedust said...

Wow, impressive. I am still doing stick figures.

f o r r e s t said...

It is almost a stick figure.

roamingwriter said...

Fun picture/story. I miss doggies. The ones over here are to look at only and have been trained not to talk to/greet strangers.

windarkwingod said...

Wow - those are Awesome. I like both of them a lot. I really like the first sketch of the rabbit/dog duo... especially the upraised tail and the upraised ears! Have you thought about making T-shirt prints?

T said...

wind is right. That would make a great t-shirt print. I like the straight lines. It's a familiar subject with a new look....cool!

Dash said...

I wonder if you've had repeat buyers. Maybe somewhere in KC, there's a forrest fan with and empty wall that's waiting for the your next release.

f o r r e s t said...

Gosh, wouldn't that be sweet!
I have noticed that each year the bid has been higher than the year before.

GoldenSunrise said...

I like both dog pictures, and I am a cat fan. You should definately do the dog and bunny thing.