Thursday, August 25, 2005

Excusez-moi! Puis-je partager vous le parapluie? .........It's raining in Paris, are you in love?


Earlier this week, I left my office during lunch and was walking around downtown. It was raining a bit, but if you had an umbrella it didn’t bother you. Cool was in the air. There is something romantic about umbrellas. Couples will snug together under an umbrellas protection. They are a great prop for pictures and art. Feelings are evoked with the use of an umbrella whether it is to keep you dry or shade you from the sun. And they drip of style to create a look as one would pick out a hat, shoes, belt, or jacket.

This weather reminded me of when I fell in love with a girl in Paris. Paris is an amazingly beautiful city with a spectacular view in every direction. The city dares you not to fall in love. It was spring time and Le Printemps was her name for she looked like a fresh flower that had sprouted from the rain. She was dressed in black with dark hair that got lost in her black umbrella. She was striking a beautiful pose in the rain as she was standing by a fountain outside the Museum of Modern art. She was clutching something in her hand. Was it a book, journal, map?? She caught me staring at her and smiled a smile that said “let’s see if it’s true- what they say about this city.” That image has forever haunted my memory. I snapped a picture, drew a sketch, and painted many paintings to remember my rain girl.


9 comments:

roamingwriter said...

: ) Like the images - both word and picture - but does Vernal know?!

f o r r e s t said...

Shhh! She had her moment on everyones blogs a few days ago, so she won't be back until next month.

shakedust said...

I like umbrellas in misty/rainy weather. A strong downpour tends to damper romantism in my book, though. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

f o r r e s t said...

Dust, don't admit that to Golden. (Nice pun btw!)

How many movies show the realization of love through a downpour? It is a time to be passionate, you can't be idle. You either run to safety or you throw it all aside and take on the rain and the liberation of getting soaked.

GoldenSunrise said...

I did get Dust to run in the rain with me once. It was my 20th birthday and I wanted to do something spontaneous. We did kiss in the rain if I remember correctly, outside Walther Hall. It was romantic.

I guess it is romantic if you want to get rained on. If you are trying to stay dry then it isn't so much fun.

f o r r e s t said...

Way to go Dust!
Did dust run through the rain or did he prance gracefully?

Anonymous said...

He pranced..of course! And made sure that he didn't step on the sidewalk cracks..or he would break his mother's back.

shakedust said...

No wonder my ears were burning this afternoon. I guess Golden is willing to put up with my banana-hating, umbrella-hogging, prancing self.

On another note I thought it was autumn that you fell in love with, and not spring. Shows what I know.

f o r r e s t said...

I am talking about a girl not seasons, although I do love the fall season.