Friday, September 30, 2005

i love my ipod, but........part III

How does the ipod affect the work enviroment or traveling with friends?

Again, the postive is that I no longer have to lug around my CD's in jewel cases or the 20 lb book that holds 200 cds back and forth from office to home. The same thing goes with trips.

But I have noticed a new shift in the office enviroment: no one talks or shares music anymore. In the mid to late '90's when I entered the work force, people would have 15-30 cd's on their top shelf of their work space. We would always bring in a new batch of CD's every week and would be at each others desks borrowing each others albums. Now, I have no idea what Steve or Ridgley is listening to. They will let me browse through their menu, but I can't borrow an album from them unless we swap ipod's.

The same thing is true with bus trips to colorado for skiing. Everyone use to bring a cd walkman and some CD's and we would share and recommend albums. I love to explore different tastes in music. Now if every kid has an ipod, you can't lend out the latest Sufjan Stevens album. Those were some fun times, those trips with the youth group as a teenager.

But now, I wouldn't want it any other way and would not give up my ipod for a second. I just miss the sharing aspect that we used to do with CD's and tapes.

...to be continued

12 comments:

shakedust said...

Those of us who haven't gone iPod yet are still in that sharing CDs stage. :)

Stephanie said...

Yep, do you want to borrow a Bolton cd Dust?

shakedust said...

I don't think I have the candles to appropriately appreciate Bolton.

Anonymous said...

You dont need candles to appreciate Bolton. You need a whole lot of time,love,and tenderness.

GoldenSunrise said...

Speaking of youth group trips--I remember listening to DC Talk's "I don't want it" and everyone giggling or coughing when the word sex came up.

MsMayhem said...

I do not have an i-pod yet but my sister just got a new one so I was over at her house recently playing with it. I am hooked. Bring on the next gadget.

shakedust said...

Jera-mee, I guess I just don't know what love is because Forrest hasn't shown me.

T said...

Speaking of love languages :) (Time to sabotage forrest's blog!) I always thought the song was, "I want to know what love is, I want you to hold me!" I still sing it that way. Dash has to correct me of course...Mr. Verbal praise man needs the words right to songs!

f o r r e s t said...

I guess to appreciate Bolton you would need a whole lot of TIME. That would drive anyone mad, so you you need to show a lot of LOVE. And once you are brainwashed by the almighty mullet you will have a heart of TENDERNESS.

Dash said...

point of clarification ... Bolton does not now nor had ever (as far as I know) had a mullett.

In fact now he's joined James Taylor in the short-haired squad.

going to carolina in my mind....

f o r r e s t said...

Sorry Dash, but you have badly mistaken Boltons doo. Just do a quick google image search and feast your eyes on one of the most famous musical mullets.

You are correct in that he no longer sports the mullet.

f o r r e s t said...

That's funny that you relate a bad hairstyle with a handicap.

I was just suggestiing that maybe bolton's musical strength is in top form when he grew the mullet. The whole Samson thing.