Monday, September 12, 2005

A few things that happened over the last few days

Here is a quick rundown of this last weekend, with maybe some stories to follow.

Thursday

  • Vernal and I headed over the Westport to my old office for a gallery opening. It was great to meet up with some of my old work friends and meet some new people. And Vernal also got to hang with her good friend who runs the gallery openings. We munched on some of the food they had their – cheese and crackers, that is one of my all time favorite snacks.
  • The reason for going out was to eventually eat. I had to fit bar-b-que in sometime this week, so I choose Oklahoma Joe’s. I was stuffed, we both were. Too much snacking at the gallery opening. Oklahoma Joe’s was good, but it sat heavily in my stomach.
  • Later that night I met up with my good friends at Homer’s for some coffee and conversations. As usual the conversation really gets good once the doors are locked and we are left standing outside. I am sure our wives are counting down the days until the cold weather arrives, knowing that Dust will not last in the cold. The odd act of the night, I was conducting a couple of interviews with people inside for a project that I am working on for my class. I asked the girl at the counter who has taken my order for 2-3 years if I could interview her. I learned that her name is Christy and she learned my name. I can’t believe that my shyness kept me for being friendly for that long. I introduced her to the rest of the group and she told us the stories that they have about us.

Friday

  • Vernal, the kids, and I spent a few hours at PowerPlay. PowerPlay is a big indoor arcade, go-kart, mini-golf, and etc. area. They have huge jungle gym, moonwalk, and train ride toddler area. It is the perfect area for goose to run his little buns off. BB and his boy also happened to be there. BB and I had a good time chatting away while the boys played. He later challenged me to a game of air hockey and I am sorry to say that I whooped his butt 8-1. (I was lucky!)
  • Later that night, Vernal and I got dressed up for a University of Kansas, School of Architecture Alumni Reunion in Lawrence, Kansas. We carpooled with two of my former classmates and their “dates” in a mini-van.
    The banquet itself was the typical “blah” kind of event. There were a few speeches and awards given out. A slideshow was being shown in the background of the school over the years.
  • Afterwards, a group of my classmates wanted to meet up a Teller’s on Mass street for some drinks. We were there for a while before a few of the wives wanted to get some ice cream up the street. We walked up, I was in a frozen coffee mood instead. I forgot how much I love the streets of Lawrence on a warm Friday night. Vernal and I just sat on a bench and watched the people walk by.

Saturday

  • Vernal had a good coupon for Old Navy, so just the two of us did some Fall clothes shopping for Goose. Soon the T-shirts and shorts will be put away, now he has some jeans, pants, and long sleeve shirts.
  • Another trip to Lawrence for another KU football game with my dad and sister.
  • Somewhere during Friday and Saturday I prepared the lesson for class on Sunday morning.

Sunday

  • The whole family got up for church.
  • I survived another trainwreck of what I call teaching a class. Maybe facilitating is the right word. The sermon was interesting with a guest missionary speaker who said a few things that made me cringe.
  • We met up with a bunch of people from class for lunch at Planet Sub. It was a good time and I think a good setting for those of us who had kids.
    Later, I mowed the lawn after watching the Chiefs game and taking a short nap.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

I think your sister's comments to him after the sermon may have made him cringe as well. DON'T mess with dancing!

As for the Sunday School thing, you do a great job and don't realize it. The Sunday school class has given me and Magrelo a place to feel like we belong, and we needed that. So thanks!!!

Planet Sub was great!!!!!

f o r r e s t said...

I am curious to hear more from this Magrelo you talk about. Is that a Brazillian word?

GoldenSunrise said...

You're a good leader. You know how to bring people together. And for some reason, we would follow you "off the bridge." : )

I think facilitating is what works best for our age group. People want interaction, not just listening to one person teach the whole time.

f o r r e s t said...

Thank you for those kind words!
I think what I like best about teaching is what I learn and discover about myself. Discover in terms of improvement.

Stephanie said...

Magrelo is the portuguese word for "skinny". It's what everyone calls him at work.