Friday, September 16, 2005

blinded by joy

Last night, I stepped out onto the the street to walk to my car. The work day was over and I was heading home. With the grey skies and the slight drizzle of rain, I was wondering if this was the day. The day that marked the end of summer and the beginning of fall. Does the coolness of the weather warrant me to put on a jacket for when I go out later tonight? Or would I be jumping the gun to soon (as if a heat wave could hit next week.)

As I am driving through a maze of one-way streets downtown, I stop at a red light next to the big outdoor bus station at 10th and Main. This stop is alway full of interesting people-walking around or sitting on fountains, waiting, going or doing whatever. It was here that I had one of those laugh outloud moments.

I look across the street a the Osco Drug on the corner and I see a man standing and waiting all by himself. He had a look of concern on his face. With a tattered green army jacket and some old jeans, his tall and slender frame made him look a little shaggy. I then understood what his concerned look was about. Under his beanie, were a pair of dark glasses and in his hand was a long white cane with a rounded ball at the bottom. He was blind.

After his senses gave him the go ahead, he crossed the street swinging his cane back and forth until it hit the slight lip of the curb. Once on the sidewalk, he took a long drag from the cigarette in his free hand as he kept walking. Moments later, right when my light turned green, the blind man breaks out into dance routine. His arms are flapping like the chicken and his legs are doing the cabbage patch and he even threw in a spin move. I busted out laughing as I turned in the opposite direction and drove home.

10 comments:

Stephanie said...

Thank you. I needed to laugh. I definitely feel like we are still in weather limbo.

GoldenSunrise said...

great story telling. I had a dejavu moment of driving by that Osco Drug on Dust's and I's anniversary date night. I think I saw a blind man also. weird.

Anonymous said...

thats hilarious sam. I work downtown a lot. I see some pretty wierd stuff. The other day I saw some lady standing on the corner. She was yelling something and lifting up her shirt. No bra.
A lot of people also talk to themselves down there. You always see people carrying on to themselves. I love eating at the subway on 31 and Main. There is a bus stop right in front of the windows. Its like dinner and a movie.

MsMayhem said...

Great story, Forrest. I wonder what song in his head he may have been dancing too...

GoldenSunrise said...

Tammydem, yes it is uncool to reveal the real names of the bloggers. Talk to one of us in person at church and we would be happy to reveal their true identities.

Jadee is T's best friend and she does not live in the area. She has visited our church once or twice.

I was unable to get goldensunrise as my blogsite. I was able to get goldsunrise as the site and goldensunrise as my sign on. It was already taken. That is why, I think, that people's sign on's are different than the blogsite titles.

shakedust said...

TD, yep, I am pretty sure you at least know who Dash and T are. I don't know how well you know them, though. :)

Forrest, I am actually impressed with how well some blind people manuever with little more than a white cane to guide them. I would have loved to see his spin move!

GoldenSunrise said...

Tammy, think Love's Command teacher and Royal Ranger commander.

f o r r e s t said...

Since all of this is on the internet and public to anyone, I thought it'd be more fun to go under an alias and keep a somewhat hidden identity, but it is probably no big deal. A lot of people use their real name in blogs.

f o r r e s t said...

Weird people always provide good entertainment. Lawrence is a good place for watching weird people.

T said...

Hey TD. Yes Dash and T are married! 11 years and counting! Jadee met the original bloggers (Forrest, Darwin, Roamin', Golden, Dust, and BB) Most briefly, some for longer then a breif moment this summer. She started her blog at the same time and doesn't have a group where she's from....so she's joined ours!