Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Urban Outfitters vs. the thrift store outfitters




Last week when Vernal and I were on the Plaza doing some window shopping, we stopped in at the new Urban Outfitters. It is always a fun store to visit. We have been to the one in Lawrence many times and also Chicago and Seattle. Needless to say they have the new trendy clothes and hip t-shirts, but I have always been put off by the price of their clothes.

Their clothing is not really business attire, but more of a street attire and when more than half my week needs to be spent in business attire it is hard to justify spending big bucks on clothes. Forget that!! In general, business or casual, I don't like to spend money on clothes. I go for deals. I think my sister is the Queen of looking good for under ten dollars. She knows how to get the deals.

It is no secret that sports jackets are kinda cool for guys right now. They are a classic look and have been a mainstay for a long time, but all the stores are hoping to capitalize on the jacket. UO's being the hip place that it is had their share of old looking retro jackets. I looked at the price tag - $69.00!! NO WAY! These aren't nice jackets and no two were the same.

I decided to go to the place that I picked up a few jackets last year - the Thrift Store. The smelley one next to the pet store. I picked out four jackets that I liked (I hope to paint some graphics on them.) I asked the lady working "how much?" And she told me $6.48 each. I went on to find a rare un-released in the states live cd of Damien Rice ($3.00) and a mini trampoline ($10.00) for Goose, who likes to jump on everything with a bounce.

I was debating about the trampoline. Ten dollars seemed a little steep. I decided to take it up front to see if I could get a deal since I was buying a lot.

Hello.

Are you ready to check out?

Yes! (placing 4 jackets and cd on the counter and holding up the trampoline) Is there anyway that I can a discount on this trampoline?

Um, I'd have to check with my manager. (looks around...song with a dance beat playing in the background...see's good friend and fellow co-worker shaking to the music together...doesn't see her manager...looks back to me) Ohh, How about $4.98?

That's great! (you would have had me at 5)

How many jackets do you have? (in an overall good mood and moving to the music)

Four.

I'll just charge you for two of them. (throwing in a spin move)

That's great, thank you! (now, I'm dancing to the music - score!)

After getting the jackets drycleaned, I sported one to my Architectural Reunion Banquet Friday night (with jeans of course and an untucked button down shirt.)

10 comments:

shakedust said...

Now I know you aren't really an introvert. :)

I'd be torn. Do I try to save the $15 or do I pay and live in my shy non-confrontiveness?

f o r r e s t said...

I really am shy and almost didn't ask, but I heard the words of my dad (who will talk to anybody and is my inspirations in times like this)ringing in my head saying, "it wouldn't hurt to ask."

Anonymous said...

I'm inspired. I'm ready to head to the thrift store. Luckily, the one out here isn't by the pet store. Oofta! That one is STINKY!

GoldenSunrise said...

I bought a jacket yesterday at Sears for $6 and a skirt for $6. The jacket was originally $58! Bargains are great!

f o r r e s t said...

Wow, no kidding!

I don't think I buy anything at full price. I always go to the back of the store to the sale racks.

MsMayhem said...

Hi Forrest
great story and GREAT jacket.
Do you feel better now?

MsMayhem said...

also, how do you publish pictures?

f o r r e s t said...

To post pictures:
When you click on new post and the page comes up. You have the title line at top and then the box below to type in whatever. Right above that white box in the tan strip there is a bunch of tools for editing (like font, color, justification, etc) over on the right side there is a little icon that looks like a landscape (blue sky, green mountain.) Click on that! Another box will appear for you to grab a photo from your computer or on the internet.

I hope that makes sense! enjoy.

MsMayhem said...

OK!! I think I got it-Go check it out! This is so addictive!!To bad I have to go to work in a few hours-maybe I could be sick...

shakedust said...

Jeraaaaaaamee, that is comfortable on stage. I think those are the situations where a long sport jacket comes in handy.

I don't know that the people in the audience would be all too comfortable if my voice was carrying over the PA. :)