Monday, September 26, 2005

is it time for a new mixtape?

The first thing you should know about me is that I am a big music fan.

The second thing you should know is that I love mixtapes. (or the more modern version of the CD Mix or the most modern of the Playlist on an ipod.)

My first creation of a mixtape must have been in 7th grade when I was discovering music on the radio. I would stay up late at night when they would have their “modern” show with one hand on the record button of the tapeplayer. Those early tapes were classic with the dj’s voice over the intro to most songs.

Later when I finally had a tape collection, I discovered the joy of being my own dj and putting songs together that I wanted. This really became fun when I was in college now with a CD collection. I would make mixtape’s for Vernal of new music recently purchased or love songs or songs that I thought she would like. The downfall of the mixtape was that it was a singular mix, only good to give to one person. Sure you could then dub the finish product, but I thought the sound was never as good the second time around.

Finally, with the CD burner on computers, this was the perfect solution to have a high quality mix tape. It’s all on my computer and I can make multiple copies for many people to enjoy or hate.

The third thing you should know is that it gives me a great joy to share my love of music by giving these mixes to my friends. I make these mixes for me. The music is what I am into at the moment and I share that with friends. They may hate it, but that’s okay. I am not try to cater to their taste.

I have been getting quite a few requests from friends asking when I will have another one ready. With the computer, I have been making on my mixes on disc with simple artwork since 2001. I would make 4 a year, one for each season. I have gone a whole year with out making one. The last one released was Summer2004. There are a couple reasons for this break. One is that last fall I was finishing up my last few tests before Turkey was born. It was a really busy season. The second reason is that I got an ipod for Christmas, so a lot of my interest where on filling that thing up with music. (There are a lot of pro’s and con’s to the ipod. I’ll explain sometime.) Each season will evoke a different mood or feeling for me as far as what I want to listen to at that time of year.

Generally it is something like this:

Spring (coming to life, more organic, acoustical, more happy)
Summer (more carefree, brainless rock or pop, up beat type of songs)
Fall (dead, very sad melancholy, slow, depressing) I think this is my favorite season for music.
Winter (cold, electronic, big sound, still sad, yet beautiful)

Anyway, I have been “in the mood” to create a mix and I finished up a new one last week.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
GoldenSunrise said...

I have noticed that you seem to like the melancholy depressing songs. I am not a fan of the melancholy songs. I almost always want to listen to something upbeat with strong vocals so I can sing along.

I am naturally melancholy and depressed so I don't need any help getting there. : )

f o r r e s t said...

There is no first come first served, because I can make limitless copies. It all depends on if I have blank cd's, which I have a new spindel, so you might be in luck.

However, there is no telling if you'll like the music.

f o r r e s t said...

To me there is something about the melancholy and sad songs that is lasting and beautiful. I also like happy and upbeat songs, but those tend to wear out pretty quickly. I like to think of the fall album as walk one takes in and about the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris on a grey day. It is spiritual, spooky, mysterious, beautiful, and romantic.

Stephanie said...

My last mixtape was in 8th grade. You got a hold of it and made fun of my for days. (I think it was either the Poison or Cinderella song that sent you over the edge.)

I loved mixtapes. :)

f o r r e s t said...

...ya don't know what cha got till its gone.

or,

...don't need nuttin' but a good time, how can I resist?

Stephanie said...

I'm laughing very hard now...

Let's not forget the torment you put me through after the Robin Hood theme song.

MsMayhem said...

Do you remember the mix tape I sent to you when you first moved away??

MsMayhem said...

Forrest
I too am a HUGE music lover. It takes up a large portion of my free time. Kudos

Doc said...

Hurray for a new mixtape! I'll have to see how I can get my hands on one. It now seems I'm not returning to KC until next spring.

Anonymous said...

Hey Robin Hood was Seminole and Matt Foxes song. Its very special to her.

f o r r e s t said...

Robin Hood and Foxes = good times!

f o r r e s t said...

Doc, maybe you could email your current address, and I'll see what I can do.

Stephanie said...

Jera-mee has a big mouth.
Forrest, please give him a mix tape. Maybe it will stop the Bolton and Lionel Richie madness...

T said...

Oh what a feeling when we're dancing on the ceiling Lionel and has Bolton ever done an original song? All I ever see him do is sappy remakes. I am not a Bolton fan but I think he did a better job before the haircut!

f o r r e s t said...

Does Dash know that you are not a Bolton fan?

I keep hearing talk about the BHC (before hair cut) and AHC (after hair cut) when it comes to Boltons career. Maybe, it's a sampson thing and the strength in his voice was in his mullet.

gigi said...

dante has a mullet... not sure what to do.

off the subject... forrest, i just wanted to let you know I appreciate your heart and your passion for the elevate group. Other than being kind of out there ;)... you're pretty cool. thanx, you rock.