Wednesday, September 28, 2005

i love my ipod, but........part I

I love my ipod, but I sometimes miss the old days.

I will try to explain.

I call myself a romantic. I am always falling in love with ideas and memories and the way things should be or once were. I am in love with the process more so than the end result. I would rather be on the front porch than the back yard, receive a letter instead of an email, a real Christmas tree versus a fake, carry a sketchbook instead of a PDA, and burn real wood in the fire place instead of a fake log with gas (the kind you turn on with a flip of the switch.)

I sometimes feel like I am in a different world than other people. A few weeks ago I was in a conversation with this guy who was telling me how he loves his gas fire place…”nothing to clean up, you don’t have to go out in the cold and snow to get your firewood. It’s easy.” I told him that he described everything I love about a real fireplace and I added that he doesn’t get the smell of burning wood either. Something about the extra effort it takes to make a fire makes it more enjoyable. He looked at me like I was strange, so I threw coffee on his crotch and stained his Khakis. (I didn’t really, but that would have been funny.)

I haven’t figured out what to do with technology. I like parts of it. It is a necessary evil. I still pride myself for not having a mobile phone, but I realize that its use and function is genius. How do I hold on to myself without yielding my passions over to technology? How does the ipod impact 20+ years of being a music fan and the way I used to listen to music compared to now?

…to be continued

Why do you love me? Why do you need me? Always and forever... We met in a chatroom, now our love can fully bloom... Sure the world wide web is great, but you, you make my salivate... I love technology, but not as much as you, you see... But I STILL love technology... Always and forever. Our love is like a flock of doves, flying up to heaven above... always and forever, always and forever... Why do you need me? Why do you love me? Always and forever...

(Kip singing to Lafawnduh)

17 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm with you about the fireplace. My neighbor and I had the same discussion last winter. Not only do I love the smell and feel of the real fire, but with gas prices they way they- who can afford to have gas running like that? I'm too cheap for that.

GoldenSunrise said...

I think that cell phones are becoming a necessity. I like to have one for safety reasons and emergencies. Maybe there will come a point in life where i-pods are a necessity.

f o r r e s t said...

I see the good in cell phones, but how did we get along 15 years ago without them?

I like to have an ipod for safety reasons and emergencies. Like that one time when they were playing horrible music at the sand volleyball bbq.

I think apple is in the process of making and ipod phone - watch out.

jordancia said...

haha.... thanks.
i don't know if you read my comment back to you, but yes, i paint/draw/take pictures/make collages/and really anything else there is. i love art.... i can't tell you if i'm good at it or not... i don't like being my own judge, but yeah.
anyways.... haha. i am in love with the technology song.
that's awesome.

jordancia said...

okay... so as i go back and read your post :-)... i totally agree with you.
i have to say, though... i like computers. but receiving mail, walking places, making things on your own, riding your bike to the store, it's all mucho more enjoyable.

f o r r e s t said...

I forgot to mention that the crackle of a real fire makes wonderful music.

gigi said...

forrest... you're super cool.

Dash said...

even better than the aroma of real wood burning, is the sound of quietly sleeping little rangers that have collapsed in their tents after carrying all the wood in and building the fire for you.

... and then comes the smell of dutch oven cobbler and prime-rib foil dinners made just for the commanders as the boy's fire burns down into coals.

ahhh camping without heavy lifting.... it may take two boys to lift a single log ... but hey, there are plenty more of them to carry the rest.

MsMayhem said...

I love your attitude and I can totaly relate. You rock.

T said...

I am a techno geek. I like gas fires and I like my cell phone that helps me multi task. I can catch up with friends and family while grocery shopping! It's awesome!

I certainly appreciate the infamous dishwasher. I really wish I had one that wasn't 10 yrs old and only did the job occasionally and was limited on their ability to clean.

Stephanie said...

Now, no one can argue against the dishwasher. It's much more enjoyable to spend the day swinging on a tire swing, than being stuck in the house doing dishes.

f o r r e s t said...

gina- no you are super cool.
tammydem- that is horrible. what a fake!
dash- i totally want to go camping with you again sometime.
MrsMayhem- you rock!!
T- I agree. I wouldn't want to depart w/ a lot of the technology that I use. I just don't want it to replace the things I really enjoy.
Carolyn- you are right on! and that is a great quote. I think it is the 'experience' that I don't want to loose touch of.

f o r r e s t said...

i have into a lake.

gigi said...

sweet!

Stephanie said...

I have into a lake as well.

f o r r e s t said...

C-
Do you have any or have you seen any of those pictures take for the magazines?

f o r r e s t said...

if you figure out how to work your scanner, you should post them on your site.