Monday, January 23, 2006

Pride and Prejudice

I am dragging today. (A bad case of the Mondays, some may say.) I’ve got a headache and I just want to go home and relax. It is my fault. I stayed up too late last night, on a work night.

My problem was that I was reading Pride and Prejudice and I was close to the end. And when you get close to the end, you can’t stop reading and let the suspense linger for a day. I had to finish and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Vernal and I plan to see the movie this week.

I now understand what Vernal means by a character development in books. She prefers books with more focus on character development and has criticized books that I try to recommend for their lack of character development and focus on plot and action.

In Pride and Prejudice it is all about the conversations and the meaning behind them, the formalities of the culture, and genuine human emotions and longing for love and all the misunderstandings and miscommunications that follow. In this book the above takes place in a dinning room, a reading room, a walk through the gardens, a ball, several balls, a neighbors dinning room, a neighbors reading room, another ball, a dinning room at a friends house in the next town, a reading room at a friends house in the next town, and a walk through their gardens, etc.

I point that out to say that this book is quite different from most of the stories I read. A good story is a good story. I really did enjoy it and would not be opposed to reading more in the future. It is no surprise to me, because with film I enjoy the dramas just as much as the action/adventure/sci-fi/comedy.

So, I stayed up late to finish a book not to see if the main character was going to save the world from a deadly virus, but to see if she could fall in love “with a most disagreeable man.”

7 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

I started reading Pride and Prejudice over Christmas. I am not very far.

You really need to see the movie. The movie got me excited about reading the book.

shakedust said...

This is on my plan to read list. I hope that will happen soon.

T said...

Don't we all fall in love with the "most disagreeable man?" Or was that just me!? :) I really enjoyed this book as well.

f o r r e s t said...

I do disagree with a lot of people. Sometimes for fun to liven things up.

f o r r e s t said...

Is there big hoopla over that book? I though the big hoopla was over the da vinci code. (BTW - does anybody have a copy that I can borrow?)

Crazy are you trying to be a book snob. :) I sometimes get labeled a music snob, but I am not. I am very open.

After reading P&P the title makes total sense to me now. I am interested if Sense and Sensabilty works in the same way.

I enjoyed the language, the wit, the restraint, the culture, and the core of exploring a human flaw that I can totally relate to.

This was altogether a different read than what I am used to and I loved it.

I look for a lot of those same attributes and characteristics in my music and I am always looking for something that would challenge me, so that I don't get stuck in a rut.

Dash said...

who you callin' disagreeable willis?

Anonymous said...

I think 10 years ago I would have taken Don Miller's approach and kept a copy around to give the impression that I was in-depth with the feminine psyche, but I would have only been fooling myself. Maybe I'll see the movie when it is at Trailridge, that way if it benefits me it cost me little and I'll know whether I want to read the book. I guess this is what makes me a "most disagreeable man" to Grace...buy hey, if it ain't broke, why fix it?