Thursday, January 05, 2006

New Year's Eve and Day

I am not sure what to think of New Year's Eve parties. I think I don't like them. I think they are overrated. I'm not sure. We used to have some fun parties, but now I just want to stay home and spend and evening with Vernal.

Maybe it is the fact that almost everybody else will be at a party that makes it fun to stay home and do your own thing.

We both feel that there is this added pressure that something magical is suppose to happen when you count down into the New Year. It is a bit anti-climatic:

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! (Shout , scream, kiss, blow things up - then what?)

Maybe, for me, it is the realization that the Christmas holiday season is over and it's back to work the next day.

So this year, we had some friends over New Year's eve at 5:30. Will grilled, we ate, we let the boys play, and the adults played games. They left, and we put our boys in bed by 9pm. That left the rest of the evening for us- we watched a movie, ate some ice cream, and made some predictions.

_____________________________________

Since New Year's Day falls on a Sunday this year, the predictions we were making was about the sermon the next day in Church. You know that is too good an opportunity for pastors to pass up. How can they resist; it's ideal. We made predictions on the cliches - the new you, starting over, changes, resolutions. Would we see list and bullet points? And Vernal called out that we would have to make our own list of spiritual betterments (not to be turned in but hidden in a secret place in our bibles.) All of this came true and we spent most of the service elbowing each other in the side as to say "see, I told you so." Good times.

3 comments:

Doc said...

I was so tired from the previous week's work (and lack of sleep) that I went to bed at 8pm on New Years Eve. My alarm woke me up New Years Day at 830am. I probably was in elementary school the last time I didn't stay up until midnight to see in the new year. I didn't really miss it - it felt way better just to sleep!

shakedust said...

I tend to like New Year's Eve/Day because it is almost expected that you will stay up late and sleep in the next day. I don't feel strongly one way or the other about parties, though.

About the sermon cliches, that is hilarious.

GoldenSunrise said...

It was nice spending New Year's at home with Dust. We had travelled all day and I didn't feel up to being social.

Funny about the New Year's sermon. I kind of figured that's what it was going to be about. Dust and I didn't make it to church.