Wednesday, June 21, 2006

214 - townhouse

A co-worker gave my her copy of the Suturday Homes section of the KC Star from last Saturday's paper. There were some pictures and a short little article about the townhomes that I designed for renovation just off of the Plaza. -that was kinda cool to see.

They are under construction right now, but they completed the model unit first so it would be part of the Springs Home Tour. The model unit looks amazing...with all the comtempory furniture and decorations. The before and after pictures are fun to look at...maybe, I'll post them some day.

I had a surreal experience with this project. In early stages of design, we talked about the potential buyers, their demographic, what they want, etc. The potential buyers are young professionals buying into a quality of life. This quality of life is not as materialistic as the suburbian quality of needing more things and bigger is better. This townhouse is just under 900 s.f. This quality of life may be a bit healthier as one would walk out their door and do their shopping on the plaza or their excercise at Millcreek Park. This quality of life is very social and entertaining is very important. Friends will come over for drinks and then head down to the plaza for dinner. So those ideas played into the final design of the space-a home that offered loft like living that can throw a good party. So a few weeks ago, I was invited to attend a party put on buy the owners of this project. They invited everyone involved - the real estate agents, the construction company, the money people, and other consultants. There was a nice spread of food and drinks placed on the curved countertop. I counted 25 people in the house at one point.

It was weird. The house was designed for parties like this and here I was at one. I found a place in the corner and just watched.

6 comments:

T said...

Sounds cool and very trendy. I wonder if what I am picturing is anything like what it looks like, I look forward to seeing the pics!

shakedust said...

Given that this spurred an introvert/extrovert discussion last time we talked about this over coffee, I would like to point out that observing is a very enjoyable introvert passtime. I love it.

I keep on saying that I enjoy suburbia more, but maybe a loft could be the type of place where I could like living there for a few weeks out of the year for a change of pace.

Irrelevant anyway, but something to think about.

f o r r e s t said...

actually, Dust. I think loft living is right up your alley. There is no yard to mow and no house to paint. All the exterior is taken care for you. I would like it if we were kidless - like 10 years ago.

f o r r e s t said...

...but maybe a loft could be the type of place where I could like living there for a few weeks out of the year for a change of pace...

That's what is fun about vacation. You could go to a place like chicago and stay downtown for a week.

GoldenSunrise said...

Dust and I should probably retire in a townhouse or condo. Sounds great to me.

windarkwingod said...

Like your discovery at finding yourself participating in one of your designs. Were you having an "installation art" feeling at times?