Monday, June 19, 2006

213 - I must confess

To my coworkers:

I must confess...I am the one who is responsible for that mysterious maple syrup smell that has become such a mystery to everyone over the last week. You see, I have gotten in the habit of eating instant oatmeal by warming it up in the microwave. I do this every morning around 9 a.m. Well, this last week, I switched from my usual flavor of cinnamon to maple and brown sugar. No big deal, right?...but for some reason this particular brand of maple and brown sugar has a very strong aroma. Very strong!

So I went through my normal routine - work a little, take out the package and put it into my coffee mug, fill it with hot water from the coffee maker, stir, and then heat in the microwave for 30 seconds for extra fluffiness. I then grab a plastic spoon, a napkin, and then I walk back to my desk to eat.

On Monday, I heard a few of you make some idle comments like, "Who's eating waffles?" I tried to make an attempt at first to say, "I think that is my oatmeal." But nobody heard me, so I kept quiet.

On Tuesday, I know you all smelled it and filed it away, but did not want to make a fuss two days in a row.

On Wednesday, it got to you. Three days in a row - what's going on with this maple syrup smell. I was as quiet as Darwin and had a big mischievious grin on my face as I heard the beginning to some theories...maybe it is the office next to us, but a pancake breakfast three days in a row is a little far fetched. I heard people say, "It happens around 9 o'clock every morning."

On Thursday, I laughed to myself even harder now that a group of about ten of you got together to solve this problem. You followed your noses to the epi-center of the source, but blamed the girl who sits right next to me, all the while the oatmeal is sitting in my coffee mug. I cannot say a word now - I'm in too deep. One coworker was on to me when I had to talk to her that morning. You said that when I came over, I smelled like maple syrup. I brushed it off and said, "Yeah, everyone says it is the strongest in that area over there." (pointing to my desk.)

On Friday, I could tell that a lot of you were getting annoyed. The theories were really getting bizarre as one suggested that anti-freeze has a sweet smell and maybe it was leaking on the air handler above. One of the bosses came over and said that they would talk to building management about the source of the smell. I better not fess up or be outed now! About an hour later I hear some scrapping and pounding on the roof. I hope I'm not responsible for that work.

So here is my confession: It was me and my maple and brown sugar oatmeal that threw you all into a frenzy last week and gave me some laugh-out-loud moments.

Today, I laid low. I heated my oatmeal up at home and ate it in the car. I need to lay low for a few days and then bring it back out every once in a while for a good tease.

6 comments:

f o r r e s t said...

Sorry, I bet you thought I had made pancakes.

roamingwriter said...

It's terrible to think you smell something good for you and then there's nothing!

I like the cinnamon and brown sugar, but the maple is good too. Instant is one of the only ways I can do oatmeal and then not too often. I had some bad experiences as a kid.

At the office here, if anyone burns anything in the kitchen, it's a BIG deal. Windows opened, doors closed so it doesn't spread, wild.

shakedust said...

That's hilarious.

I wouldn't be upset about having to smell maple syrup. At least it smells good (even if it does make me hungry). What is annoying is when someone cooks some fish that is a little off. That's when I want to visit the smokers outside for a few minutes.

T said...

Maple syrup good. Fish.....bad. :)

Great story!

f o r r e s t said...

Fish...that reminds me...

...back in the dorms at KU there were a lot of Asians who lived in the dorms. Each dorm had a public kitchen that you could reserve to use and hold a party or whatever. Occasionally, when I'd walk through the lobby it would stink of a horrible fishy/seaweedy smell. It was the Asians making something from the home land.

GoldenSunrise said...

Very funny! I like the cinnamon roll flavor that is fairly new. Quaker Oats brand and Great Value brand both have it. I eat mine at home before I leave for work.