Thursday, June 15, 2006

212 - Music for Sring2006

  1. Mojave 3 - this road I'm traveling............it starts off slow and soft and builds and builds and then the trumpet blows and we all come back down.
  2. Embrace - gravity.............whoops, another slow starter that builds to the louds chorus. A great song to sing outloud.
  3. Laura Veirs - magnetized...............zirconium??? did she just sing zirconium? a beautiful song with a simple acoustic guitar - later added by a singular piano key.
  4. The Innocence Mission - a thousand miles............a georgous unreleased song.
  5. Denison Witmer - little flowers...........a song about St. Fancis of Assisi.
  6. Coldplay - the hardest part...........a silver lining in the cloud.
  7. Iron & Wine - love vigilantes...........a New Order cover.
  8. Rosie Thomas - faith's silver elephant.............this song was part of a kids compilation of indie artist.
  9. Sufjan Stevens - good god bird..............NPR asked Sufjan to write a story about this small poor community in Arkansas that has come alive with the discovery of a woodpecker that was thought to have been extinct.
  10. Morrissey - the youngest was the most loved.............the sounds of an English street and moping.
  11. Broadcast - tears in the typing pool...............a somewhat electronic band does a simple strummed acoustic song.
  12. Nouvelle Vague - guns of brixton............a cover of one of my favorite Clash songs.
  13. Over the Rhine - cruel and pretty.............the sound of a front porch swing.
  14. Damien Rice & Lisa Hannigan - unplayed piano.............well, he's playing it in this song and Lisa sounds great.
  15. Jack Johnson - wrong turn.............melancholy never sounded so sweet, it hurts.
  16. Bill Mallonee - can't fake the heartache.............I guess I like sad songs.
  17. Cat Power - living proof................roll down your windows, turn up the music, let's go for a sunny drive.
  18. Erin McKeown - Beautiful (I guess).............something about that drum loop, record crackle, and slightly jazzy acoustic that reminds me of watching Seasame Street as a kid.
  19. Don Chaffer - against the window pane.................This is a classic Don song. I saw Don and Lori and thier bands a lot at the University of Kansas. Their music feels like a part of my college experience and this song captures the feel of sitting on the floor with my friends at some local coffee shop as we listened.
  20. Sara Groves - it's going to be alright..............One of the few CCM artist that I like. This song is great - it's vibey and dreamy and you can get lost in the music.

7 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

Is it accurate for me to say that it seems like you view each song as a piece of art? It is interesting because I haven't taken that approach to music. For me, music is an outlet for me to release an emotion: anger, joy, love, etc.

shakedust said...

I've been listening to the CD. It's much more tranquil than the previous CD. Not better or worse, just more tranquil.

f o r r e s t said...

Yes, the Winter CD was a bit louder and noiser with a lot of electronic based bands.

I use Spring as an opportunity to showcase a lot of the acoustic and singer/songwriter music that I love also. So, the music itself is more organic and acoustic based - which I feel is the perfect soundtrack for the earth waking up to winter.

Tranquil is a great word and those are the sort of moments I like when listening to music. (along with other moments.) I think the theme for this cd was for something to listen to as you hang outside in the late evening - talking to you friends...like sitting around a porch.

f o r r e s t said...

Yeah, I see music as a form of art and each song individually as well as the whole of an album. I mostly 'feel' the emotion of a song, rather than find a song to release an emotion...but I listen to a lot of music based on my mood, but not really to vent.

Doc said...

I love this album. It's great for driving the slow back curve of a country road at dusk, windows down letting the lilacs perfume the air.

windarkwingod said...

Cool! Lots of new names. Where's my copy?

roamingwriter said...

I keep thinking I should do some itunes albums as I tend to like specific songs and not a whole album. I think I'm more like golden, it's a release of emotion for me. I can't even keep up with blogging so I can't see myself adding leisure time in itunes to my repertoire.