Tuesday, June 13, 2006

211 - May music and more

May was a good month for music. First here's a story:

Last summer, I got an album by the band Elkland. When I tried to download it onto iTunes so that I could listen to it on my iPod, it was copyright protected through the mother label company of Sony/BMG??? Bummer...at the time, we didn't have a high speed internet connection either, so I couldn't attempt to load their media player that would allow me to maybe make a digital file. Now that I have high speed, I remembered that cd and plopped it into my computer and it took me to a website where there is a class action lawsuit against Sony/BMG??? for this software that was put on these discs. The did to quite a few albums. I followed the directions in how I could participate and in return for mailing in my old disc, I got:
  • a new Elkland disc with out the copy protection.
  • downloadable digital files of the Elkland cd.
  • 3 full album downloads from iTunes of my choice from a list of selected Sony/BMG??? artist.
The list of Artist to choose from wasn't the best, but I found some albums I was interested in. It's free, right? No one gets hurt.

I figured a little Frank would be good to have as one of my free choices.

Switchfoot - Nothing is Sound... was one of those albums that I wanted to here, but didn't really want to pay for. Now I have it for free.

Nellie McKay - Get Away From Me...I was very interested in this one. She is very bizarre and the album is quite eclectic. It goes from billie holliday to eminem to showtunes. It is very whimsical and reminds me of girls I knew in art school. My 3rd free choice.

hammock - stranded under endless skies ep...4 beautiful instrumental songs of ambient guitars, drones, and other noises. I was in the mood for some nighttime music and thought it would be perfect for the mountains.
The Concretes - In Colour...perfect summer music from a band from Sweden. I heard a song of theirs from one of my music podcasts and had to seek them out. This was music for a roadtrip to colorado.
The Weepies - Say I am You...another discovery through a podcast. Mostly female vocals but often shared or led by a guys voice too. This music is a bit more folky along the lines of the Innocence Mission or 10,000 Maniacs. I am so in love with one of their songs...so beautiful.

Asobi Seksu - Citrus...one of my favorite activities on vacations is shopping for music in a different city. The new music will always be a reminder of that trip. I picked up the next tow albums from Virgin Megastore in Denver. Again, I heard a song from this band on a podcast. Their sound is dreampop and I love it.

Editors - the Back Room...also picked up at Virgin. This British band is getting compared to Interpol because the vocals are very similar, but after sampling the music in Virgin - their music was really strong and seemed more dynamic than Interpol. Musically, it's a great album.

I read through this book in the past month - very funny. I using this book in our Sunday School class this summer - I am so fired. It was a good run - I guess Dust will have to take over teaching duties.

5 comments:

shakedust said...

Yeah the Sony thing was big news six to nine months ago. Well, it was big tech news.

Also, don't be trying to get fired. I might just have to follow suit.

GoldenSunrise said...

Was Pastor Shawn sent to monitor the class, or is he just interested in the topic? : )

f o r r e s t said...

Who knows? I think he came on his own interest, but... This was two weeks in a row for him.

What about Dash? Was he in the class to monitor too?

Dash said...

Nope - I'm not a Narc .. I was just there for the iced tea and a chance to laugh at how silly we can be sometimes.

that - and I didn't want to go to Big Church by myself.

f o r r e s t said...

Dash - I thought you were going to compliment me on the Frank Sinatra. You are welcome anytime that you don't want to go to big church.