Monday, February 27, 2006

sigur ros 22FEB2006

This was the advertisement that was running in the paper a few weeks prior to the show. Below are some pictures that I took of the show:

Sigur Ros featured on the marquee at the Uptown Theater. I love marquee photos. There are some great rock photos that shows a band under the sign with their name on it. It is usually defines the moment that the band becomes 'big time' and fans start to catch on.

Before the show started the stage was dimly lit with a lights shining up onto the back curtain.

Amina was the opening act and they also played as the string quartet for Sigur Ros.

Sigur Ros played their opening song "Glosoli" behind a scrim (or see-thru curtain) with different spot light casting huge shadows onto the scrim for a layered affect of images. The visuals imagery complimented the audio...their music sounds similar to these images.

Their music has been discribed as otherworldly.

During the show, I had an idea of what their music sounded like.

After the show, BB asked me how I would describe their music. I told him I thought it was the sound angels make when they see God and sing praises.

The scrim is now removed. Their singer/guitarist used a bow to make the big wash/wall of noise sound on his guitar. He primarily used the bow on almost every song.



They would sometime shoot some video images onto the back curtain.

Here is the image that is on their album cover for Takk... you can see Amina on strings.

This song (don't ask me to name it because it is all in icelandic) featured two bass guitars.

I love this shot!




During the encore, they played behind the scrim for a couple of songs.

These images were beautiful with the colors, shadows, and layering of the band member.

I really like the hands of these next two pictures. I believe this was the final song of the show which I think was Track 8 on ( ).

It was as if the audience was soaking up God's goodness. I love going to a rock show and seeing that God showed up. "...finding the Holy in the unHoly."

TAKK...thank you.

What would a show be without a crazy Sigur Ros fan? BB sporting his new shirt.

6 comments:

Achtung BB said...

These pictures are better than the view I had. Thanks

shakedust said...

The scrim is a cool idea.

I have to ask. How did you know about the word scrim? I had never heard the word before.

f o r r e s t said...

I took a class at KU called "introduction to theater." With a class load of 18 hours/semester, I had to find some easier classes to take that didn't involve a lot of work. (no reading) We learned a bunch of theater terms - which I have mostly forgotten. I think the class required us to go to lectures, see 3 plays (our choice) and write 3 papers based on those plays.

windarkwingod said...

OMG! Sigur Ros at the UPTOWN! I miss KC! This band had been some GREAT theme-music recently! BTW, when did Brian start smoking doobie again?

Anonymous said...

nice. wish i could have been there but thanks for the review. the scrim is a nice touch...they should have done the whole show that way. is sigur ros the next pink floyd?

f o r r e s t said...

I don't know if sigur ros will have the commercial appeal of Pink Floyd. Their music is great and the vocals are cool, but the vocals aren't something that you can wrap yourself along and sing out loud like you could with Pink Floyd.