Wednesday, February 22, 2006

President’s Day Weekend 2006 – part II

Saturday, February 18th

Moose Lodge has two bedrooms. Doc has dibs on his master bedroom. The other bedroom has two twin beds and that is where my dad and I slept - (Although, I kept offering my bro-in-law the opportunity to sleep in the same room with his father-in-law.) My cousin-in-law slept in the living room on the hide-a-bed sofa and my bro-in-law in the same room on a mattress on the floor. We had breakfast at McDonald’s after several other attempts proved to be to busy. After our quick breakfast we made it to the slopes of Copper Mountain. My dad and Doc, both skiers, took off to ski together while I stayed with the others to teach them snowboarding. The started to pick it up, but by the end of the ski day they were pretty tired. I met up with Doc at the end of the day for a final few runs that took us to 4pm. We all went back to the Moose Lodge to change out of our ski gear and freshen up for a dinner in Leadville. The drive to Leadville was a very scenic tour through the mountains and passes the continental divide. I think it was about a 30 mile trip. Doc gave a good tour commentary as we passed places of interest. Doc recommended this place called Quincy’s. The only choice on the menu is the size of your steak. They alternate Prime Rib and Filet Mignon on different night. We had Prime Rib. It was sooo good and we were so hungry. Besides the steak, the meal came with a salad and a baked potato. The price for all of that and a 16oz Prime Rib was only $13.95. We ate well and then Doc took us to a place for chocolate milkshakes for the trip back. On the way back, we made stops at Wal-mart and a grocery store. Back at the Moose Lodge, we did what guys love to do – sit around the TV and flip through the channels. Basically, we just hung out as we each took turns getting a fresh shower.

Sunday, February 19th

I woke up to the smell of breakfast. My dad made omelets and hashbrowns. We were all sore. We soon got dressed and were back out on the slopes of Copper Mountain. We all stuck together for most of the day. My bro-in-law and cousin had improved greatly with a night of sleep. They were doing quite well. Close to the end of the day, they had their last runs, so Doc and I went for one final run. We made our way back to Moose Lodge to change and head into Breckenridge village for dinner and some night time street life. We ate at a Mexican restaurant and I don’t remember the name of the place – Mi Cocina or Mi Casa??? Breckenridge has a nice “main street” type of drag with lots of shops and eateries. We walked into a few and found a pretty cool bookstore that was an old house with all sorts of rooms with homey furniture and book cases and rugs. I picked up a book for my boys about the critter family who goes on a ski vacation. Back at the Moose Lodge, Doc made some chocolate chip cookies that we ate with ice cream. We sat around and watched more TV and Olympics.

2 comments:

shakedust said...

All this talk of food is making me hungry.

Seriously, it sounds like this was more of an experience than an event.

f o r r e s t said...

Yes, as much as I love to snowboard, I equally look forward to dinner on the town with a hungry stomach.