Friday, February 03, 2006

new music for the month of january

January was a good month for getting new music. Here are a few of the albums that I picked up. Normally, I don't I don't get this many new albums every month, but I had leftover gift certificates from Christmas and it was also a birthday month.

So this is what I picked up:

Broadcast - Tendor Buttons
I got this with a leftover (from Christmas) gift certificate to Border's.
This is a British electonic band with female vocals. Most of the electronics are very analog sounding, but not totally electronic - there is some guitar. For a while I was trying to figure out if I should get the Imogen Heap album. I sampled it, but it just didn't do anything for me - it was to poppy. I think this album is what I was looking for.

My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything
Also from Border's with my GC.
I had a cassette with this album, but never the CD. There are some good tunes and can see the direction they are taking to make the best album of the 90's - Loveless.

Faultline - Your Love Means Everything
(Best Buy gift certificate)
A British electronic/ambient/post-rock band with some great guest vocalist.

Depeche Mode - Violator
(Best Buy gift certificate)
I have always enjoyed this album but never owned the CD.

Joy Division - Closer
(Best Buy gift certificate)
This is my attempt to educate my self on Joy Division. I love New Order (same members, minus the lead singer who committed suicide.)

Laura Veirs - Year of Meteors
(B-day gift)
I wanted this album after I heard her song 'galixies.' Her album reminds me of the people I knew and the lifestyles of being at a university.

U2 - Wide Awake in America
(B-day gift)
It was on my wish list. One of the rare U2 ep's that I never had on CD.

Cat Power - The Greatest
(bought with B-day money for $7.99)
I wasn't sure I wanted this at first, because it was billed as soulful/country-ish album. But I like to be challenged with different music. I love it! Her voice is gorgeous and the music is good.

1 comment:

shakedust said...

I think I buy more stuff in January than any other month. Gift certificates + whatever budget cushion I planned during the holidays = a good time.