Sunday, May 14, 2006

10 May 2006 Depeche Mode

Last Wednesday night, BB and I went to see Depeche Mode at Starlight theater. The opening band was an act called She Wants Revenge. As most of you know it was an interesting evening and Depeche Mode altered their setlist and cancelled the show after 13, when thier lead singer could not make it back to the stage after a reported "medical condition that was not serious." I checked the message boards the night of and the day after to see what was being reported - everything from bad food in Mexico, combined with a day before birthday celebration, resulting in dehydration, to fear of Starlight's bats in the towers, to loss of voice, to sound problems...I haven't checked to see if there was an official report since Thursday. Dispite, all the problems and the shortened set the evening was still fun.

Starlight is such a cool setting for a musical or a rock show.

(Notice the girl in the plastic dress thingy.) These are the types of sacrifices that a late 30 year-old makes to prove she is still as cool or goth as she was in the 80's. I say sacrifices, because the evening was very chilly and I had jeans and a jacket.

Starlight is know for bats in its towers, but who knew that The Count himself was a crazy Depeche Mode fan?

Here are some photos of the show:















7 comments:

shakedust said...

I think hearing your side of the story contrasted against BB's is hilarious. I'd probably be prone to be pessimistic if I spent a lot of money on a concert as well, though.

What is that spherical thing in the last picture? It kind of looks like a dark death star.

f o r r e s t said...

I didn't realize we had different versions or sides to the same event. I didn't hear his 24 hours later take on it at Homer's.

I was disappointed that the show got cancelled early, but I find that's no reason to get pessemestic. I guess I was being a realist about the situation. The performers are human and prone to sickness. What can you do when the singer loses his voice? I am surpised with these long tours that it doesn't happen more often.

On a different note, I got to watch the first band play while BB waited in line to buy a $35 t-shirt, so I got to see more music than he did.

That last picture is the sound of crickets on an empty stage wondering where the band is. The death star was kinda like a robots head with to round red eyes and depressing sayings scrolling through it's mouth like subjected, pain, isolation, loneliness, greed, lust, etc. I don't know if those were the exact words but that is the effect.

Anonymous said...

here's what I read from 96.5's website, titled as "the bands offical explanation and comments":


Dave has laryngitispost date: May 11th, 2006
DEPECHE MODE FORCED TO CANCEL TONIGHT'S CHICAGO SHOW AND ENDED LAST NIGHT'S KANSAS CITY SHOW EARLIER THAN EXPECTED DUE TO SINGER DAVE GAHAN'S LARYNGITIS

BAND OFFER SINCERE APOLOGIES TO FANS AND THANK THEM FOR THEIR LONGTIME SUPPORT

DEPECHE MODE has to unfortunately cancel tonight's (Thursday, May 11) performance at the Allstate Arena in Chicago as lead singer DAVE GAHAN has laryngitis. After seeing a doctor in Chicago this morning, he was advised to cancel the show and rest his voice. At this time, a make-up show is not planned due to the band's scheduling but management is looking into it. Tickets for Chicago will be refunded at point of purchase.

Meanwhile, the group had to regrettably end their show last night (May 10) at the Starlight Amphitheatre in Kansas City, MO earlier than expected. Coming off three concerts in Mexico, GAHAN's voice was challenged throughout the concert by the unusually cold temperatures at the venue.

An hour into the concert - after the segment where MARTIN GORE sings a few songs - GAHAN was unable to return as he lost his voice, leaving GORE to continue on lead vocals for another 25 minutes or so.

DEPECHE MODE offer their sincerest apologies to their fans in Kansas City and Chicago and want to thank them for their longtime and dedicated support.

DEPECHE MODE's next scheduled show will take place Saturday, May 13 at Jones Beach Amphitheatre in Wantagh, NY.

Achtung BB said...

I understand that the lead singer is sick. What I didn't like was starting a show and walking off. If his voice wasn't up to it, cancel the show before it starts and refund the money. Don't do half a show and walk off with our money. What we got was not worth $80.00 Some of us were looking forward to hearing some DM classics and had to settle with less. At least reschedule the concert or something. By the way, nice pictures.

Achtung BB said...

You take the worst pictures of me. I really need to go on a diet

f o r r e s t said...

I don't know if a diet would help the purple skin situation. It makes you wonder if the sky was really green would our skin be purple?

BTW, BB, I agree with everything you say. I would love to have my money back or a reschedule.

shakedust said...

If flamingoes' diet causes them to be pink, I'd bet that BB's diet could turn him purple. :)