Monday, November 21, 2005

The Weekend

  • Kicked it off with some Jack Stack BBQ for lunch on Friday.
  • It was my half-day at work, so I took Goose "downtown" to Union Station/Crown Center area. We were lucky to catch two trains going in opposite directions as we parked the car and then another train as we left. Union Station is a magical setting for Christmas. All the decorations were getting put up and their huge model train set was being put together. Christmas trees were lit up all over the place.
  • I saw a flyer for an old Kansas City tradition in Union Station. It is a Christmas sing-a-long. They are bringing in a choir and inviting people to sing along. There was an old picture and it looked cool. The main floor was crowded with people singing along. I hope they pass out words, because I forget what comes after "Frosty the snowman, da da da da da da da."
  • We used the link to walk over to Crown Center. We hit the toy shop (just looking) and the candy store (more than looking.)
  • It was dark when we left and we could see the downtown Marriot hotel all lit up with it's animated lights. It looked brilliant. We made a drive by, through Barney Allis plaza, but it is best seen from afar.
  • Friday night a group of us from church put together little baskets filled with goodies and delivered them to some ederly people. Veranl and I were with our kids and thought that we would deliver to a lady who lived close to us then go home and put the kids to bed. Our lady was single-her husband died four years ago. I felt bad because I think she was expecting a large group of us. She had all these snacks put out and their was just the four of us. I politely ate a cookie. She did have the KU Jayhawks basketball game on.
  • Saturday morning my dad and I played a few games of racquetball at the community center in Mission. Afterwards, we went over to Werner's German meatmarket and european market and ate some Brats. Well, I actually had a polish sausage. Very good! On Saturdays, they grill them outside and people from miles around come.
  • Saturday afternoon, Vernal went over to her sister's house to decorate the boy's birthday cakes, which meant that I had both boys. I loaded Goose and Turkey into the car and we headed to Toys-r-us. I wanted to check out some scooters for possible Christmas presents. That store is crazy and not in a good way. Everytime, I go there it is packed. I guess there was big sale going on and usually the only time I go is during the Christmas season when everything was crazy.
  • Then we went over to Best Buy. I like the old Christmas music. Bing is the king of christmas. I heard of this new cd of old christmas songs that have been remixed by some of today's "?best?" DJ's. It is a pretty cool concept. So, I picked up Christmas Remixed volume 2. I could not find the original volume 1 from last year. Overall it is pretty good and I guess that is based on the original song selected. Perfect for that party with a little funk.
  • Vernal's Mom came over and we got to run some errands and eat together- just the two of us. We had gift certificates to Chipotle.
  • Saturday night cleaned house and prepared lesson.
  • Sunday morning - went to church and then my dad came over and we rode in his truck to my office downtown to pick up a filing cabinet. Then we stopped by D'bronx to pick up a 30" party pizza. Yummy! We have to tilt the pizza sideways a bit to get it through our door.
  • We celebrated Goose's and Turkey's birthday. They turned 3 and 1. We had all the family over. Always a good crazy time.
  • Sunday evening, Goose and I went to the church's thanksgiving dinner. Vernal and Turkey were visiting an Aunt in the hospital. It was nice to speak Dar and Roamer. Thanks for coming; I enjoyed the treats. I think I liked the white nut brittle best.
  • I have to thank BB for being on top of things and getting us tickets to see Sigur Ros at the Uptown Theater in February.
  • I finished reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and now I am ready to see the movie.

10 comments:

Dash said...

So how did you like "Prior Incatatum"? How old is your copy of GOF? If you have an early enough edition there is a mistake in that chapter that JKR corrected in all the later copies.

GoldenSunrise said...

You had an exciting weekend. Hope Goose and Turkey had fun at their birthday celebration. Dust and I were total bums and hardly left the house because he was sick.

Stephanie said...

Forrest, you make life sound so exciting. I want to have fun weekend adventures!

Frosty the Snowman, was a jolly happy soul, with a corn cob pipe and button nose, and two eyes made out of coal... (I've got your back!)

shakedust said...

And all I did was sit on my butt at home all weekend. Golden and I have a policy that if you have forgotten about work by Sunday evening, it was a good weekend.

Achtung BB said...

BB is always on top of things in the music world

dwhitey said...

Forrest, thanks for your post on the weekend! It's fun to keep up with you in some fashion. It sounds like a fun WE. I remember going to Jack Stack and also D'Bronx with you and Vernal. Besides the Rav-O-Rama and other fun college times! I was very sad on Friday as to have missed tickets to the KU game ON THE 5TH ROW by one minute. It would have cost some money, but it was good for KU and not having to pay into the Willams fund for 35 years and as you know I'm cheap, but boy 5TH ROW! I offered it to my bro and when he found out we missed out, he about killed me! I did play raquetball as well. I don't know about you, but my forarm hurts like crap and I am sore. On Saturday I went duck hunting with my bro-in-law, which was fun as it was his first time. He shot once, we saw a TON of ducks, but as with all hunting we were not in the right place at the right time, or we were sleeping on the job. Still, it was a good time. I went to IHOP (not the pancake place) on Sat. with Shanart and some friends. A very good experience. And went to church on Sunday and Thanksgiving supper for 7 churches on Sunday night! Whew, now I need a new WE. God bless! D

f o r r e s t said...

Dash - my copy is new, I got it just this fall. So what is the mistake in the book. Did you catch it and send her a letter? :)

The ending was quite a page turner - very good.

f o r r e s t said...

Thanks Seminole! Do you have my back on "Good King Wenceslas da da, da da da da da da da?"

DW - quite a busy weekend for you too! 4th row tickets would have been great. I think the closest I got was on the second row behind the KU bench in the student section. Apparantly, a group of girls had camped out all week and there was one who was drop dead gorgeous, so I sweet talked myself into a seat next to her.

dwhitey said...

You womanizer you! What's Vernal think about such things? Ha!

I only got to watch the first half of the game on mute as we were watching my niece El, and my two chitlens as they screamed as loud as the could about nothing in particular. I updated b about the score via text message. He was stuck at his sister in laws high school play.

f o r r e s t said...

She had to do all the dirty work- camping out and such, but I ended up marrying her, so I guess Vernal doesn't mind.