Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Thanksgiving Weekend

(Note to self: I need to stop making these, all too often, lists that cover the mundane and highlights of the weekend. It is becoming too regular, too systematic...hmm, but, I am an archiver, a documenter and this is a good way for me to remember. Maybe, one more time!)

I heard a news report on the radio that started out with the line –“if you are still using dial-up, then you are a dinosaur.” That’s us! We are dino’s. I have all the high speed I want at work and our dial-up is free at home. I should look into getting high speed at home. Vernal would benefit from that.

The news report went on to talk about all the on-line shopping as a result of so many people with high speed. An expert was on talking about all the pro’s of shopping online and stated that it saves a lot of wear and tear on your feet. Yeah right! Like I want to sit on my butt in front the computer so I can become lazy and fat, just so I can save my feet from wear and tear. What are shoes for???

For the person in the work force (office), Thanksgiving is the best paid holiday and the closest thing we get to a Christmas break, Spring break, or summer vacation. Thanksgiving has been the only holiday where we always get two days off. It is a harsh reality when you graduate from University and you no longer have breaks.

Thanksgiving morning, Goose runs into my room and wakes me up. He says that “Mom, made cinnamon rolls.” It is worth getting out of bed for cinnamon rolls.

We had our Thanksgiving dinner with Vernal’s family at her mom’s house in North Kansas City. Dinner was around noon. I did not overeat and get that feeling of being stuffed.

Later, we dropped off our Accord at our mechanic’s to replace the belts.

That evening we went over to my parent’s house to eat cake and celebrate my dad’s birthday. The whole gang was still there- Lou Lou, Ricardo, Seminole, Magrelo and all their kids.

Back at our house, Vernal and I leaf through the paper, checking out the ads for the best deals. Vernal says she is going to take the first shift and get up at 6am to do some shopping.

Friday morning, goose wakes me up again. Early. Vernal is not in bed. I am surprised she actually got up to shop. She needs more sleep than I do. No cinnamon rolls today, so I put a cartoon on the TV in our room for Goose and continue to sleep in a half-state for a while.

Vernal makes it back by 10am, so I head out to pick up a few things on my list. It is worth it waking up at 6am compared to the traffic at 10am.

Friday afternoon, Vernal and I take Goose to see The Polar Express in 3-D imax. Goose loves trains and knows more about trains than I ever did until a year ago. It was a hoot watching him reach out his hand trying to grab the screen and saying “it’s right there!” There were a few intense moments of peril where you could feel his grip tighten on my arm followed by -“I’m ready to go home, now!” He made it through the movie with some candy and promises of seeing Santa soon.

Back at home, I had one of those awesome ‘football naps.’ The game was on and I closed my eyes…..

Friday evening, we all went down to Union Station for their Christmas sing-a-long. This took place after the lighting of the mayor’s Christmas tree. We met up with Lou Lou and Ricardo, Seminole and Magrelo and their kids. The kids soon found their way across the hall to the back end where a free train ride around a huge tree awaited them. Goose must have taken at least 10 rides. Turkey even got in on the action. On the way home, we took the scenic drive through the Plaza and Mission Hills.

Did I mention that I like Christmas music? Bing Crosby is the best! He is the voice of Christmas. But in general, the era from which he comes from has the best Christmas music.

Saturday late morning, my sister, dad, and I head over to Lawrence on a beautiful mid-60’s day. This is the KU Jayhawks last home football game. They beat Iowa State and are now bowl eligible. It was a come from behind win in overtime, which sent the fans out onto the field to tear down the goal post for a third time this season. I love walking on the field after the game. It is magical.

That afternoon, Vernal and I pick up the Accord. It doesn’t make that weird noise anymore when it’s idling. Good sign!

Saturday evening, we watch Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I have the original movie, but haven’t watched it in a while. It was okay. Wonka (Depp) was just weird in a fruitcake disturbing way. The oompa loompa’s as a little old Hispanic man – also disturbing. I didn’t care for the exterior of the factory as some sort of leftover cold war brutalism. Ha ha! I did love his laugh. Ha Ha!

Late Saturday evening – read chapter and prepare lesson.

Sunday morning – to church and then out to lunch at Fuddruckers with a bunch of good friends.

At home – finish watching the Chiefs game and then work on cleaning the basement the rest of the afternoon.

I started reading Pride and Prejudice this week. So far, I find the book very agreeable. Full of superciliousness and dry wit. The scheming of Mrs. Bennet is implausible. I am quite pleased to report that the first ball begins in chapter 3, which is page 5 in my book.

First five song to appear on shuffle:
Sufjan Stevens – a good man is hard to find
Bjork – oll birtan
The Prayer Chain – bendy line
M83 – in the cold I’m standing
Slowdive – when the sun hits

11 comments:

gigi said...

good afternoon forrest. Bing is the king. There is no one better.

It is always refreshing to read your highlights of your weekend because you are such a family-guy. This is a good thing.

We actually just watched the new version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as well. Ty and I are big Depp fans... he played wonka very out there...which was expected from him. Yes he was very much fruitcake-wiered, but I got over it because I enjoyed how he was so sarcastic with the bratty kids. It made me laugh. The oompa loompas were so stupid and their songs were the worst part of the movie. Totally lame and embarassing for tim burton. The best thing about it was the story line. I loved the whole flashback thing with his dad and when he was a child and stuff. And I loved the end.

Sorry I had to miss your class yet again. I am looking forward to being there sunday. You and vernal are great teachers...

f o r r e s t said...

Depp is a great actor, and he did a good job being a fruitcake. I still enjoyed the movie, but not as much as the original. I also liked the flashbacks to his childhood and his father.

Veruca salt is awesome. "Daddy, I want trained squirrel."

shakedust said...

I don't believe for a second that this is the last list post you are going to do. The point of this is to be a journal, right?

Did Vernal do her Friday morning shopping alone? Golden is usually excited about the prospect of shopping on Friday morning, but that is only if she can talk family members into going with her.

f o r r e s t said...

I said maybe one more time - isn't that an out? You know i'll keep doing, but i feel like I have been doing it too much lately as a result of infrequent post. I try to catch up, esp. from not having access during the weekend.

I view my blog as a journal and treat it like one, often, but I also see it as a form of communication with friends in the "big letter" sort of way. So obviously, a lot of my content is for my personal satisfaction, but then I wonder if my friends get bored of me talking about...music.

Vernal went alone. She had a list and a mission and could not disclose to me a few of her where-abouts.

Stephanie said...

I love your weekend posts. They are my favorite. They usually either give me fun ideas, or remind me of the fun I had with you guys! Union Station was so much fun. I want to do it every year.

GoldenSunrise said...

Cool weekend. I looked at the ads but didn't find anything that I had to be at the store early to buy. That will probably change when I have to start buying toys!

Johnny Depp is one of my favorite actors. Someone we know said that his character reminded him of Michael Jackson. I couldn't get that thought out of my mind when watching Charlie & the Chocolate Factory.

meredithia said...

first off, I'm gonna have to agree with the news and say that you guys are dinos. also online shopping is great. I like the fact that it's always opened, so I can shop at 1 am... It's also fun to shop on amazon.com because people review all the items, so I can read what other people thought about the book, cd, ipod skin... or whatever else you feel like purchasing.

and except for the day after thanksgiving, my mom is buying everything else online this year. It's faster and less hassle than having to wait in crazy lines and fight everybody else at the mall.

yes! someone else who thinks the new charlie and the chocolate factory sucks! I think johnny depp is disturbing (in the michael jackson kind of way...) and the oompa loompas are stupid. But I'm a huge fan of the old one, I went on opening night and was very dissappointed.

and congrats on pride and prejudice! definitely one of my favorite books.

f o r r e s t said...

I only shop on-line for those hard to find items (usually music.) I love amazon, to read the reviews of music, movies, books, and products, but nothing beats the experience of browsing through a bookstore for a couple of hours.

I love the whole Christmas shopping experience. It is usually Vernal and I running around without the kids. We are pretty relaxed though. The stores are all decorated, the window displays on the plaza are the best. We usually we sit down and have dinner or coffeee for a break, and if we are real lucky maybe we'll catch a movie too! The sites, smells, and sounds are something I wouldn't want to give up and you never know which old friend that you'll run into.

gigi said...

I love shopping on-line... it's one of the greatest new movements ever! But I just have this one problem with it. I know it's totally stupid to you guys, but, when I'm buying something I have this thing... that like... I just have to touch it and feel it. It's like I need to feel the quality of it to make sure it's a good product. On some things it doesn't matter...such as music or electronic type things, but when it comes to material and clothes or leather products and toys and stuff, I feel the need to feel it. Leather...I have to feel and smell to make sure it is just what I want. Maybe I am just too particular or something...but that's pretty much the only thing that hinders me from buying on-line.

f o r r e s t said...

I know what you mean, you got to see it to believe it.

I like to do my research on line, find the product, who caries it, read reviews, and then see it in person (if possible)to make the purchase.

dwhitey said...

Hey dino man. I agree you need the fast connection. I would never go back to 1999 (when I got cable).

I like your weekend posts. Hey, this is your blog you can write how you want to!

I just blogged about my deer hunt this week. Shanart hated it, because she hears way to much about all of my hobbies and I think I needed to do a little more editing for the faint of heart.

I haven't see the remake with Depp, but I just can't see how it could be better than the original.
I don't want to see Michael Jackson playing Willy Wonka.

Football nap...good times!

As far as online shopping. You have to be careful, but boy have I found some deels. I am an Ebay-aholic. I sell stuff as well, but I buy alot of my hunting stuff on Ebay for a fraction of the price.

I do like to check it out first, so I understand going to the store. I do hate the crowds though.

Have a good weekend! d