Wednesday, November 09, 2005

office clean-up

We architects have the ability to have really messy work spaces. Most of us try to be clean, but with drawings sheets that are 24X36 or larger, professional magazines, product catalogs, trace paper, to many pens, markers, and pencils to count, old sketches lying all over the place, etc, etc, it is easy to creat quite a mess. Like dishes in the kitchen, if you don't take care of it soon, it is amazing how quickly things will pile up.

We have an important interview at our office tomorrow.

We just stopped work an hour ago so that everyone could clean up their space. My desk is so clean and bare that I don't know what to do with it. It'll look back to normal in a couple days...but in the meantime all the trash has been thrown away; pencils, pens, and marker put back in their holder; business cards stacked in a neat little pile; stapler, tape dispenser, and telephone all lined up in a row, important papers and drawings all filed away; magazines and code books stacked neatly on my shelf, and all the other stuff that I didn't know what to do with-thrown into the filing cabinet.

Here is to the stapler in the jell-O.

11 comments:

gigi said...

Oooo Verna... declaring her rank... you go sister...

f o r r e s t said...

i love cleaning up my space at home, but who has time to stop and pick up?

I need to do the winter transition in my wardrobe. Put away all my shorts and get out my sweaters.

gigi said...

forrest... i don't get it... "stapler in the jell-o"? "jell-o"? at work? Was it made jell-o or jell-o still in the box? I don't get it... how can you have a stapler in the jell-o? Isn't jell-o a wierd thing to have at work? Is it like a snack or something? wierd... i don't get it.

stapler in the jello?

f o r r e s t said...

GIGI,
one of my favorite television shows is the BBC's The Office. It is filmed in a mockumentary style like it is for a reality series and the show follows the ins and outs of a hum-drum office for a paper factory.

There is one guy, Garreth, who is uptight and anal about following all the rules and regulations of the office policies. There is another guy, Tim, who is a prankster (whom I relate to.) Tim takes great joy in messing up Garreth's orderly and anal life. Garreth brings it upon himself.

One episode, garreth is looking for his stapler, opens his drawer and finds that it has been submerged in jello. A great moment in comedy.

gigi said...

Oh... ok... cool...

Dash said...

I want my red stapler .... which by the way, was not previously available until the movie made it popular.

rigggghhhhhtttt........

GoldenSunrise said...

So, is Dwight Garreth's character in the English version of "The Office." And I am guessing Jim is Tim's character. Does Tim flirt with the Pam character on BBC's version?

f o r r e s t said...

To a "T", you are correct.

I haven't kept up with the American version. I plan to watch it when the first season comes out on DVD. I heard it was good too.

dwhitey said...

uh oh forrest, not good when vernal wants you to clean the house. maybe you can start with something else.... like my studio. :)

f o r r e s t said...

studios are meant to be messy. Right?

dwhitey said...

but of course!