Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Do you want to do something? It depends, what do you want to do?

I am always amazed when people don't want to do something because it doesn't sound fun.

Maybe, it is a lack of the adventuresome spirit or maybe it has something to do with personal pride or maybe it has something to do with the way they were raised.

I grew up in a family that was on the adventurous side, meaning that we were not afraid to try things. We didn't have a lot of money, so entertainment and family vacations took lots of creativity and exploration. It also meant that with the right people, fun was to be had regardless of the event. That is something I have took with me for life. Sometimes, I may have fallen off that path in order to stand up for what's "cool" to keep my pride intact. But I quickly learned the error of my ways and turned from being that person that is no fun.

That is what I am getting at today- this idea of "what is fun" based on the event and not on who you are experiencing this event with.

Take Branson for example - My pride would tell me that it is not a cool place. Branson is a place for old people watching some really lame shows. The roads are crowded with big buses full of blue hairs. Everything their is a fake storefront on a metal building. But when you plan a trip with your family to celebrate someones birthday, I was excited to go. Once you learn to embrace the cheese and then you will have a good time. We took advantage of all the quirkiness that Branson has to offer. And I would totally go back for any occasion. And you never know when that really lame old persons show has a middle-aged guest dancer in a tutu and a thong! Now that's excitement!

Maybe it was the "process" that I learned to enjoy with my family. As a kid, my dad and I would go to baseball games, sit in GA because it was the cheapest and get their a few minutes early so we have the best selection of seats. This is the "process" one has to go thru in able to watch a game 2 1/2 hours later. Some people like to show up right in time for the first pitch, but by arriving so early, we got to watch batting practice for both teams. Often, I would walk a way with a ball from batting practice. That is why we always brought our gloves.

I know people sometimes do not want to do something (an event) because it will be too crowded, parking will be tough, etc. Again, yes that may be annoying, but what about the people who you are going with. Can you have a fun time with them? I see the crowds of people and the parking as part of the "process." That is why tailgating at a football game is so much fun. The same is true about a picnic lunch for an outdoor theater.

Men's retreats are lame, but if the right group of guys are going then it could be fun.

Coffee at Homer's, whether the coffee is good or not, it is still fun because of the company.

(As Dust would say if he were writing this: "Having an adventuresome spirit and the ability to have a good time regardless of the event or activity is the best way to live.")

11 comments:

Stephanie said...

Your dad makes riding an escalator an event! When we went to the Knights game he took my squirrel up and down it at least 10 times. It reminded me of our grandpa.

Be honest, this is all about the Plaza lighting, isn't it?

f o r r e s t said...

Seminole - when I was little, he took me up and down the glass elevator at crown center. I was almost tempted to do the same with Goose the other day. My dad doesn't get embarassed like I do. With a little bit of courage, Goose and I will soon be riding the elevators.

It's about Branson, but it could also be applied to the plaza lighting or theater in the park or any number events. I was even thinking about those cheesy Carman free Carman concerts from the old days. And then I was thinking of some friends of mine who are snobs when it comes to appearing cool and I realized how they can be a bore.

Did I touch your soul? Do you not like the plaza lights? Dad, use to take us when we were little.

GoldenSunrise said...

It is all about your attitude going into the event. I agree, it is also the company that makes the event fun.

Carolyn, I can't believe that you've never been to Branson! Like Forrest said, once you embrace the cheese of Branson, it can be fun. Silver Dollar City at Christmas time rocks!

f o r r e s t said...

Carolyn-
Branson is awesome. You have Silver Dollar City and White Water, a bunch of corny shopping, all kinds of go-karts and mini-golf, ride the ducks, baldknobbers, arcades, old people and buffets, and then Lamberts (home of the throwed rolls) is close buy. It would be a blast. P.Phil use to take us when he was the youth pastor.

shakedust said...

Wow, I got the whole parenthetical remark at the bottom of the page devoted to me. I can't think of a more deserving person. :)

Seriously, though, I think you are probably right about events having more to do with the people you are with than anything else. I do hate trying to find a parking space where there is none, though.

f o r r e s t said...

I have always threatened doing a 'Dust' inspired post, but I realized that would take a lot of work and thinking. I realized this might be a close as any, but I forgot to add the line at the end "I am the best, I am right, and there is no other way to live."

For our new readers - I am only joking with Dust. He is not really full of himself. I tease because sometimes his posts come off that way, but that was a long time ago.

dwhitey said...

I tried to post, but a glitch happened and it erased it!

As we talked about Forrest the fam and I just got back from Branson 3 weeks ago or so. Awesome! I agree that it has alot to do with who you do things with.

I just posted a blog last night about a European adventure with Shanart and it reminded me to tell you that you should post a blog on your Eifel Tower Poo Experience. (I know that sounds bad).
I laughed my butt off with that story.

Happy Thanksgiving! d

f o r r e s t said...

i read your story - funny!
I should relive my story sometime and I think I have a picture of it. It was before we had digital, so i'll have to scan it.

Stephanie said...

Okay, I missed the Branson thing? Do you want to go to Branson?

I love the Plaza lights. Magrelo doesn't like crowds. I want to take the kids this year. He wants everyone to come over and play games. He has Brazilians on his side....

I also want to go to the Christmas tree lighting and sing carols, so maybe it will be games Thurs and crowds Fri. It's that marriage forcing compromise thing again.

dwhitey said...

I have a lot of stories with no digital and my scanner bit the dust. Oh well, I just threw in a few web images that reminded me of the area. d

shakedust said...

I thought I felt something.