Wednesday, November 16, 2005

tracklisting for fall2005

I just finished compiling all the songs for my fall2005 mixtape. Actually, I had a pretty good idea of which songs I want to use and made a playlist on my ipod, so I have been listening to this all through October. The harder part is finding time to make .wav files from the cd's and editing the selection down to fit on an 80 minute cd. I should have copies made soon for those who have been waiting and bugging me about it.

The fall album is my favorite. I like to get real moody, sad, and beautiful with the songs. This album has a lot of depressing quiet songs and I almost made the whole thing that way, but I had to add some more uptempo to contrast the sad quality of the quiet songs. I am still working out the exact track order to achieve the best flow or stark contrast (which also works just as well.) You either blend in with the context or you totally contrast it as a way to pay respect and allow the true context to show.

Here are the songs:

  1. glosoli by sigur ros....If I was asked to describe my feelings on The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe through song-the book would sound like this. The opening of the wardrobe, the rustling of hangers and coats, the sound of Lucy walking through icey snow, the frozen landscape, the meeting of otherworldly creatures, the emotion of the battle, and the sweetness of spring as the snow begins to melt.
  2. Then Go by Damien Rice featuring Lisa Hannigan....Vernal and I have been fans and got a chance to see this Irishman in Lawrence back in March of 2004. We were excited that he brought Lisa with him, because she is featured all over his album "O" and was a main voice from his show. I found this rare live album at a thrift store in Merriam of all places and a new song that features the beauty of her voice in this slow burning song.
  3. Sometimes by My Bloody Valentine....Their album "Loveless" is probably the most influential album to the musical taste that I have today. I used to turn out all the lights in my dorm room, light a few candles, turn the volume up and let the music wash over me.
  4. Show by Beth Gibbons....such a sad piano, a fragile voice, and an overwhelming sense of longing.
  5. softness goodness by Starflyer 59....SF59 continues to put out albums that are in step with my musical taste. This is what "cool" sounds like. The hand claps and the double harmonies get me every time.
  6. that dress looks nice on you by sufjan stevens....sufjan wows me with his lush arrangements on what some people call chamber folk, but he put out an album called "seven swans" that is really stripped down to the acoustic guitar and banjo.
  7. sleep tonight - stars....I mostly like female voices or men who sing pretty as compared to the screaming man voice, but that's another story. MBV influenced song with pretty vocals.
  8. bisounours by coco rosie....this is just a weird song that has a fall feel to it. A low female voice, a french rapper, and an opera singer.
  9. precious by Depeche Mode....this is DM at their best with a classic, bittersweet pop song.
  10. desired constellation by bjork....when I would pull all nighters in school, at first the music was loud and busy, but before the break of dawn it sounded like this.
  11. alison by slowdive....I can't get enough of this song and the way it builds up to a wall of sound. I wish it wouldn't end. This song reminds me of my first trip to London as we took the tube from the airport into the underground of London. So much to look at.
  12. constants are changing by boards of canada....a few weeks ago I looked up into the blue sky through naked branches and watched the leaves fall.
  13. make no protest by lori chaffer....In the fall semester of my freshman year ('92) my roomates and I heard her play and we bought her music and listened to it all the time. When I met Vernal, she was also listening.
  14. stay by Kevin Max....this song has everything that I love about '80's british music.
  15. anniversary by the cure....an album of sad songs would not be complete without a lament by robert smith.
  16. a page of life by joy electric....JE writes some of the most beautiful sad songs and melodies, don't let the old synths fool you.
  17. everything but sleep by denison witmer....I first saw denison at a festival on a whim. He put me asleep and I loved it. I became a fan.
  18. haiti by arcade fire....midway through there is a singular note that is played and it builds and turns into something beautiful.
  19. we have a map of the piano by mum....when we take a walk down our street, we are trudging ankle deep through leaves. It makes a nice sound.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog.

Keep up the great work, I'll be back soon.

f o r r e s t said...

Good, I am glad you liked it.
I'll make you a copy, but you have to let me know what you think of this one, because it is no where near as accessible as the last one. I made it for my liking and most people think I listen to weird music.

dwhitey said...

Well, you do listen to weird music. But that is good. Actually, I loved a ton of the bands on this list. Some none of these younger people know about, like the cure, DP. And some of which, unless you were into underground christian music you wouldn't know about. Did you know that Lori and Don played at our wedding. Well you were there, so you did. They also got married after us. We like to think it was because of us they got married. Don played the Chello in the strings quartet and Don played the guitar and Lori and he sang a couple of songs (which were amazing). That was only 11 years ago. Anyway, sign me up for a copy. I am very interested in hearing the glosoli by sigur ros, which I have never heard of. There are quite a few I haven't heard of. Sounds awesome. I like the Joy E. Is their sounds still the same? I haven't heard Kevin Max's sound since he isn't involved in the DC Talk deal anymore. His voice is amazing. I love Bjork! Bizarre, but very cool.

f o r r e s t said...

Yes, that was quite a feat getting don and lori to play at your wedding. is that where they caught the love bug?

dwhitey said...

we like to think that we played the final note that brought them together! :) it was awesome getting them to play at our wedding. not only that, but Shanart and I went over to Lorie's apartment here in Larryville to check out some songs she was working on. One of the songs she and Don sang together was one she had written for a friends wedding a little bit before ours (I think I remember that correctly). It was awesome being in her house having her play just for Shannon and I! For some reason Don couldn't make it, but it was still awesome. Another cool thing, is that we got a couple of tapes from Don and Lorie as a wedding present! You know that Don went the seed too? d

f o r r e s t said...

when you say "the seed" you mean the mustard seed - right? Is that what you guys are calling it nowadays.

BTW, I hate it when i misspell words, but I really don't mind it for the comments.

dwhitey said...

Yes,"The Seed" is the Mustard Seed. It just seems like a hip shorter version. Thanks for your acceptance of my spelling fauxpas. <----Shanart spelled that one for me. It is French she says!

windarkwingod said...

PLEASE MAIL ME A COPY!!!
check out my new post too...

shakedust said...

The uncommentable post sounds "cool" as well.

MsMayhem said...

tell seminole she needs to burn me a copy for Christmas..Fabulous!!!

meredithia said...

oooh I want a copy of the mix! or I can just borrow somebody elses copy (since I don't really need the disk, just the mp3s....)

ok. I gotta go to work now. (and I'm not excited about it at all!)