Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Me and Doc on Holiday and Doc Holliday



A couple of years ago, Doc and I went on a church ski trip to Aspen. Three days of skiing and then head back home the next morning, but that didn't happen. The night before we were to leave, there was a huge snow storm west of us. This snow caused an avalanche in front of the mountain pass that we were to go thru.

The leaders got together to try to plan out alternate routes and await information regarding the state of the mountain pass. There were no options; we were stuck. WHAT FUN!! Unplanned events. I had to call work and tell them that I was stuck in the snow storm and would not return back in time. FUN! I left the same message with Vernal and Goose who was 4 months at the time. NOT FUN, but what can you do?

We were staying in Glennwood Springs and we were not affected by the snowstorm at all, in fact the weather was brisk in the low '50's. The leaders were trying to figure out what to do with everybody (there were about 50-60 in the group): another day of skiing, snowmobile riding, trips to walmart for snacks and games, go to a park and picnic, etc. I was dicided that since most of the kids didn't have extra money that we wouldn't go skiing and that we would just hang aroung the motel for the day.

Most of the group was content hanging in the game room playing games all day. I have never had the desire to play 6 hour world domination games. One guy brought his x-box, so there were a group of teenage boys who didn't see the light of day. We were not so content to stay put. Doc is a great friend, always up for an adventure (once he get's up-he's a little slow in the morning.) We were going to explore; sadly, no one else took us up on the offer.

We remembered that Glennwood Springs had a quaint little downtown as we drove through it earlier, so we headed that way. It was a nice walk, maybe a little to warm for our jackets. The sun was out and the mountains surrounded us on all sides. There downtown had all sorts of interesting mom and pop shops from bookstores, to adventure sport stores, coffee shops, clothing, restaurants, night clubs. We even found a place that made authentic Italian gelato
that we enjoyed on their outdoor patio as we watched the locals go about their daily life. We even saw some of the hippie/granola crowd protesting with signs across the bridge as the war in Iraq just began.

Later, we found signs that lead to a mountain hiking path. The signs said that this was the path to Doc Hollidays tombstone. So we went up. Soon we were high over the town. Looking over cliffs, we could see how far away we were from where our motel was. Perspective is always fun. We kept going up and sure enough we stumbled upon an old graveyard. It was amazing looking at the dates and to see that people lived 25 to 40 years. It was also sad to see a common mother and infant grave side-by-side. (Thank goodness to modern medicine!)

It was funny to see Doc Holliday's grave. People left little gifts, but it was all about his gambling-shooter persona. There were cards -spades, clubs, diamonds, and hearts- scattered around. A small bottle of Jack Daniels laid empty in front of his tombstone. There were also jewelry, bullets, and maybe some lacy undergarments.

Needless to say, I think Doc and I came away with some good memories (even if we weren't playing x-box all day.)

10 comments:

Doc said...

Yeah, that was a great trip. I love exploring new territory. I also learned things about myself that trip (I may be high maintenance, but I know where all the good restaurants are located!) Hopefully we can get another group to go to Colorado this year. I know where to stay.

f o r r e s t said...

The thing you should know about Doc is that his is a wealth of information and he has an incredible memory. He has traveled a lot and could probably tell you where to get ice cream at any city this side of the Mississippi.

He is also really good with geography. I bet he studies maps in his spare time.

shakedust said...

I guess that proves that you can find treasures if you are willing to take the adventure. I am not always willing to go on the adventure, though. :)

f o r r e s t said...

Even if we didn't discover the treasures, it is the "process" that you look back on and cherish. The experience that we shared walking along streets and then hiking up paths, the conversations, the jokes is what I am referring to by "process" and I value process above "end results."

Does that make any sense?

Doc said...

In a way, I think God values the process of life more than the destination. I.E. - Should I get this job and live in this city and marry this person (destination issues) vs. what character developing lessons can I learn while trying to follow God regardless of which circumstance I find myself in (process issues).

Doc said...

A little boasting here, but it is true. I know where to find good ice cream!

Anonymous said...

As a Granola fan, I resent the hippie reference.

:-)

Anonymous said...

did ya take a wee sip of the Jack and parade about in the lacy undergarments like good kristian men on holiday?

Anonymous said...

Or the stretched out brassiere?

f o r r e s t said...

To set the record straight, I believe it was Doc who was parading around in the brassiere.