Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Group Night at Starlight


Last night our office had a group activity at Starlight Theatre for dinner and to see Jesus Christ Superstar. This was my first out-of-office function with my co-workers and their spouses. It is always interesting to see what type a person one pairs up with. (So this is your wife…)

I love going to Starlight. The setting is just magical –the Romeo and Juliet towers, the brick architecture, the fountains, the courtyard, the trees, the greenery, the open air theater, being their with your lover, and then being taken into a different world of singing, dancing, and my favorite scene of warming ones hands by fire lit by logs or in a trashcan in a street. I’ve noticed this scene quit a bit in musicals, like the poor people in Annie, or a Christmas Carol, and even Jesus Christ Superstar – to name a few.

We had dinner at the Applause club located just east of the theater across from the fountains. We found the section where our group was eating and made our introductions. The main principal for our firm has a daughter who is good friend with Vernal’s sister. So, they had a bit to talk about and then he invited us to join them at their table – they just happened to have two seats upon. I tried to using my best table manners and chewed with my mouth closed.

It was a very nice evening and everything was paid for by the firm. The show was good; the food was good. Our office will be adding new rehearsal rooms and dressing rooms and all sorts of other rooms in a new building at the location of our eating area with-in the next year or so.

8 comments:

shakedust said...

Extra-curricular activities with coworkers is hit and miss in my experience. We went to a few functions at Golden's old work place and it seemed like no one really wanted to talk to each other. Until my current job I tried to avoid those situations with my coworkers.

Now I have done several things outside of work with coworkers (and Golden). I must say that I do get enjoyment out of seeing who matched up with who and how everyone interacts in the slightly awkward situations that these outings tend to be.

f o r r e s t said...

Within the architecture community these things are usually hits. Everyone is somewhat like-minded and their spouses are equally interesting. In general, we are a very social people. We can/have become quite a family.

Jadee said...

That sounds really neat! It must be alot like our outdoor theatre called The Muny. And I was just reading the list of productions for this summer at work today...and we are having Jesus Christ Superstar too.

I would be more interested in knowing your thoughts/opinions/impressions of the story line, since I know nothing about it.

windarkwingod said...

I saw the musical on TV a number of years back and have the soundtrack. While it does not show the resurrection. I love every minute of the musical myself - especially when Jesus is in the garden alone... Great songwriting!

GoldenSunrise said...

I have never seen Jesus Christ Superstar, but it sounds like something that I might like to see.

About my previous work dinners: We usuallly arrived when most people were seated already. I didn't get to sit by my friends. I was the only accounting person, we had several sales guys, engineering guys, so not many were like minded. Maybe I should have got my cpa and joined an accounting firm were we would all be on the same page.

f o r r e s t said...

The story is your typical last week passion play set to the soundscape of the '70's. Jesus is shown as a kind of Rock Star, but I think we are viewing it through Judus' eyes. It could be retitled, "Judus is jealous because he thinks Jesus Christ is a superstar." Theologically it is not 100% accurate, but it still tells the basic story. I don't think in anyway the writers we trying to demean or bring harm to Jesus and his followers. There is no resurection scene after the crucifixtion.

The director's note in the program talked about the popularitiy of Jesus with Mel Gibson's Passion and the Da Vinci Code. So he took the liberty to throw in a Leonardo di Vanci drawing (of the man with his arms out inside a circle in a cross position) on the stage platform ramp that ascended up behind the cross during the crucifixtion. He also had the actors pose in the "last supper painting." I haven't read the books yet, but they are on my list.

roamingwriter said...

Doing add ons for starlight's buildings would be fun. That's a neat project. Enjoy!

f o r r e s t said...

The project is just about finished and was started long before I started working with these guys, so I haven't worked on it at all. It is still night to walk around the office and see what others are working on.