Sunday, July 10, 2005

A Day Out With Thomas


It all started a little over a year ago…that is when we first watched a DVD that Goose got for Christmas earlier. That DVD was a Thomas the Tank Engine video. Judging the book by its cover, I, at first, dismissed this whole Thomas thing because the trains looked a bit cheesy with their faces on front of the engine. But soon I was introduced to these simple stories about human behavior and the wonderful Island of Sodor. These videos have a gentle rhythm and innocence comparable to the original Winnie the Pooh or Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood. Goose was hooked. What boy doesn’t love trains? The original American Romance – I was hooked too. (Meaning it wasn’t annoying like Barney or Teletubies.)

I had a plan…I am not a fan of junk toys that are good for a week then break and get collected in a box. The plan was…Goose’s 2 year birthday was coming up in November and I would coordinate with all the relatives to give the Thomas wooden toys as a gift. I had tasked my dad with the job of making a train table and I would design the layout of the track and paint the top. Sure, you could buy pre-designed track layouts and table tops, but that would take all the fun away from me. It was a hit and to this day he still loves his wooden train table and wooden trains. I am a fan of the wooden trains myself. There is something about wood that is classic, there is something right about the feel of wood in a person’s hand.

So that brings us to this weekend for an event called “A Day Out With Thomas” hosted at the Midway Rail in Baldwin City, Kansas. We were pretty excited to take Goose. He love trains and train rides. We had our tickets for the whole family to ride in passenger coaches that were attached to a real life-size Thomas the Tank Engine. All the kids in our shuttle bus gasped with “oohs and aahs” when Thomas came into view. The train station was alive with a festive atmosphere. There was the depot and an outdoor pavilion along with tents set up for magic shows, storytelling, train tables, temporary tattoos, and of course merchandise. Balloons were in the air and the moonwalks were held to the ground. The fire trucks were even there for another bonus and the backdrop was set by a huge grain silo. And the kids…the kids where everywhere!

The time came for our ride; we walked up the steps past the conductor and found empty seats next to a window. As we rolled out, we passed a few old diesel engines, went through a wooded area, and then onto some farmland. Goose just about had his head out of the window the whole time as I am trying to keep him inside. It was a hot day, but with all the windows open; we had a nice breeze coming in. The trip reminded Vernal and me of all the train rides we took in Europe and the enjoyment of watching the land pass by. Overall it was a fun day, but more importantly, Goose had a good time. We took lots of pictures and video to later re-live the experience. When we got home, everybody took a two hour nap – we were wiped.

8 comments:

GoldenSunrise said...

I think you spoofed BB's story of Thomas. He has the pessimistic story of the high costs and you have the optimistic story of the beautiful scenery.

f o r r e s t said...

I guess we view life differently. My story was of realism and romance. I typed mine out before I read BB's, so I was not influenced by his. I like to enjoy life, and this event was not for my enjoyment but for my 2 year old. He loved it and given the fact that I came away with some good memories, I enjoyed it too!

shakedust said...

Interesting to see two takes on the same general experience.

f o r r e s t said...

If it makes any differnce, we went Saturday morning and I think BB went Friday.

GoldenSunrise said...

I should have posted my comment above under sunset. sorry.

Achtung BB said...

I know I tend to have a more negative view on life, but if you know me, then you know how much I hate the heat. I was miserable on the train ride. The important thing to me was that Woogy had a good time.

GoldenSunrise said...

BB, your somewhat negative view on life is what makes you funny. It is a part of your humor. We wouldn't want you to change.

windarkwingod said...

Trains are great!