Friday, July 08, 2005

HI MOM and the loud talker

The loud talker....every office has one (or maybe a few.)

When they get on the phone their voices rise to an uncomfortable level, especially if it is a personal call.

This one guy cracks me up; he is maybe 45, has a loud raspy voice, and his mom calls him all the time. I think she is mental or has some problems. Anyway, he answers his phone loudley and says "HI MOM." Then, he instructs her on something: "DID YOU LEAVE A MESSAGE."

He has been gone this week and I have learned that, much to the delight of my co-workers, I can imitate his "HI MOM" phrase. Some people were rolling in their seats (because no one has talked about his HI MOM before and were glad that others thought it funny), and some people thought he was back early from his trip.

Oh boy, what fun at the office at the expense of others. I hope this isn't considered gossip or being mean. I really like the guy; he is an interesting character and he'll talk your ear off, loudly.

5 comments:

roamingwriter said...

I think you measure mean in this case by - Can you do it in front of him and it's funny still. There are loud talkers everywhere. It's funny that it's his mom. I have a hard of hearing friend I always have to crank up the volume for. You feel a little silly shouting into the phone.

shakedust said...

I generally enjoy it when coworkers make personal calls at work. I am very careful what types of calls I make and the volume at which I make them so that I am not that guy that makes the calls that everyone know about.

f o r r e s t said...

True! I always quiet down when it is a personal call. There was a contract worker who I was sitting by once who kept berating her husband on the phone in a loud voice. Poor guy!

windarkwingod said...

I loved to pretend that I was speaking Russian. I would just be loud enough for co-workers like Dash and Dust to hear if they tried hard. I would make the conversation heated like I'm berating someone for forgetting the "package" at the RR station. Then I would hang up and try to be normal. I did this to Mick when I just started dating Roamer. Mick was only about 13 at the time, and he avoided looking at me for a whole day!

GoldenSunrise said...

I had a coworker who talked loud on the phone and she always made personal calls. The whole office could hear her lie about being married in order to rent a house she wanted. She had been living with her boyfriend for 5 years and they had a son. She needs to be on the show, Fire me please! I have tons of stories about her.