Thursday, August 30, 2007

282 - chilled coffee and shoes

I kinda feel silly posting this after just reading Darwin's post, but I know he is a kindred spirit and has a thing for shoes. How are my feet?
Last week, I participated in a focus group. They wanted to know my opinion and they wanted to pay me $75 dollars for it.

I will honor the coffee company and not say their name, but a certain national coffee chain (not from Seattle, but maybe Colorado) that has a 4 legged animal with a rack of horns on it logo wanted to test their new add campaign for their new chilled coffee in an aluminum can. (Whoa, that is a long sentence.)

We got to look at eight billboard ads and listen to two radio commercials. Several of the billboard ads hit on the trend of "office" humor and the radio ads where making a point of their coffee being for the average Joe vs. the snooty coffee drinker. The radio ads were funny in the vein of "real men of genius."

I am real honest with my opinions, but part of me feels like a bit of sell-out...and I bet that is how all advertising and marketing is. I helping them come up with ideas or preferences that would help sell their product, when I know that I won't be buying it. Why won't I buy it. I try to live healthy and that involves making healthy choices. It is probably too expensive for me to consider. I have a bad Coke Zero addiction I am trying to break; I don't need another one.

The highlight was when they brought out the product for us to sample. Chilled cans of French Vanilla, Espresso, and Regular flavored goodness.

It is no secret that I have a thing for shoes (and jackets- maybe a future post sometime.) I have had my eye on this pair of shoes all summer and now thanks to a couple of hours of drinking coffee and giving my opinion (which I loved to do), I am $75 for the better and I ordered my shoes online.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you my new kicks - Keen Ventura


8 comments:

T said...

Cool shoes! :) Yay focus groups!

shakedust said...

Nice shoes.

My general opinion about consumer marketing is that people make the decision to let others influence them, so it's their own fault. It is necessary to be an influencer if you want to be in business.

By the way, I think the coffee company is based out of Minneapolis. I didn't know they had any shops in town. I just checked, and there are three in the metro area--two of those on the Kansas side. I'd like to try their coffee some day because I have heard that it is really good. Expensive, though.

Achtung BB said...

I think they are from Minn. I wouldn't mind drinking coffee for a few hours and giving my opinion for a new pair of shoes.

Portland wawa said...

Cool shoes. It was worth it for those.

GoldenSunrise said...

It's fun to spoil yourself on an item like that when you earn "free" money. Cold coffee is gross in my opinion.

roamingwriter said...

I miss those opinion things. How fun to get "free" shoes. We'll have to sign up for that when we're home again!

windarkwingod said...

Forrest. Those are so completely sweet kicks. If I saw them I would buy them. I like the black and the classic lacing with the future-looking tan sole and grips. I would be in the Keen club if I could find them here or trusted the online purchase to get into the country. Really nice ones. BTW - I too often make purchases after large amounts of coffee drinks. I also like jackets as well. Shoes and jackets. Nice.

dwhitey said...

nice shoes! i love shoes! Absolutely love them