Tuesday, September 04, 2007

283- August music





Starflyer 59 – Ghost of the Future (Issue # 1 and Issue #2 of 10)

The idea behind Ghost of the Future is that there will be (10) 7” vinyl records that will be released over 6 months. The “A” side contains a demo version of a song on the upcoming album and the “B” side contains a song specific to the Ghost series. So, I got an old record player and set it up in my art studio. This was actually a new experience for me ‘putting the needle on the record.’ The songs are fantastic. They have a lot more electronic elements along with Jason Martins signature guitar sound. The songs have a very New Order-ish feel to them. Good stuff.

By the way, the artwork is great. It seems to be some sort of hammerpress on heavy chipboard. I think all the albums will create a design or picture. The photos above are front and back.

This myspace page has a song from one of the upcoming releases:
starflyer 59


Eisley – Combinations
Listen here.

I must say that this is a very, very good album. I thought their first album was okay considering that they are all teenagers. The music was good and the lyrics were a little hokey. I didn’t listen to that album a lot. But this album is really good. The music and voice and lyric are very much improved and I am listening to Combinations quite a bit and haven’t grown tired of it. Good job guys. They are on tour with Mute Math. I might have to stop by.




Over the Rhine – The Trumpet Child
Listen to the whole album here.
Listen to myspace here.

I have been a fan of this band since the beginning. I first saw them live at Cornerstone ’92 and knew there was something special. As a true fan, I allow my artist to grow and explore new things and different styles. (What I mean is that a band doesn’t have to make the same album over and over again.) But I must admit I wasn’t sure about this album upon my first listen. In all fairness, my first listen was in the car with my boys going to the pool. All you get from those listens are impressions and my initial impression was that it was a bluesy southern sound. And I thought, oh, I don’t like that bluesy sound, I wish they would make another album like… But then I put the headphones on and the power and beauty hit me. It is a more lighthearted sounding album with a jazzy flair and some whimsical songs. Yes, there is one song that is a little bluesy, but it is growing on me. These are good songs, the kind that only get better and soak into your soul the longer they age. The opening line of the first song states, “I don’t want to waste your time, with music you don’t need…” No time wasted. I need this music.




Rilo Kiley – Under the Blacklight
Listen here.

I bought this album on a whim…It was on sale for $7.99…They sounded pretty good when they opened for Coldplay a few years ago…And I just read an article about the band in Paste magazine. It’s not bad and there are some real good songs. It has an ‘80’s pop feel to it. And I’ve read some publications making comparisons to Fleetwood Mac. But I don’t really know Fleetwood Mac.??? (but I do have a few of their records that I should put on the player.)




7 comments:

shakedust said...

I liked Rilo Kiley at that concert too.

It's funny to me that you and BB tend to pick up so many of the same albums. Great minds, right?

Achtung BB said...

I had the exact same reaction when I first heard "trumpet child." But after a few listens, I love it. OTR will be in Portland in a week and I think they are stopping by KC too.
I'm jealous and a little bummed that I know longer own a record player (haven't in about 10 years). I hope some of SF59 new ones make their way on CD.

f o r r e s t said...

Dust, Great ears listen to great music. Right?

Brian, you must see OTR. They are great live. I hope to some day figure out how to get ghosts in a digital format.

dwhitey said...

Forrest, I can't believe it. I had comment moderation on my blogspot site and didn't see any of your comments from the last half a year. Sorry about that! Something was screwed up, so I just started part of it over. I use the http://balmorg.wordpress.com the most now, but I will try and post on this one every once in a while. I like wordpress better personally. You can track a lot more and there are more options in general. I did start another blog at http://darinwhite.wordpress.com because I am crazy like that. blessings, darin

Portland wawa said...

well, BB bought tickets to OTR yesterday. They are a good band. Just BB and I are going, everyone from church backed out. Maybe they will win me over. Rilo Kelley was ok, but they didn't win me over. They didn't win BB over either, if I remember.

Doc said...

I just picked up Eisley's Combinations and have been listening to it while putting up a storage system in my garage. Very good. Prior to this I was running Trumpet Child on repeat while driving to and from local state parks for hiking. I guess I'm a pushover for female fronted bands.

buy oxycontin said...

This is very interesting, You are a very skilled blogger.