Wednesday, August 08, 2007

278 - July's Music

Here are the albums I picked up this month:

Interpol - Our Love to Admire
Listen here.
Straight from the inside of Cabella's comes the new Interpol album...


Not a lot to say about this album. It is a good, strong album. It sounds like an Interpol album. Not a big departure in sound. Their song writing and music is better in my opinion than Antics. Antics bored me after a couple weeks, hopefully this will have a longer life.

Editors - An End has a Start
Listen here.
What a coincidence that Editors and Interpol release their new albums a week apart, since they are often compared. Mainly, because their vocalist sound like they are related and people like to compare their vocals back to Ian Curtis of Joy Division. Vocals are very important to me in music and you know how much I loathe the "man" voice and the growl: pearl jam, collective soul, creed, third day, hootie and the blowfish-yawwwlp...and to be honest I have always preferred New Order over Joy Division. What should I call this new vocal style trend - the post-punk, new wave goth voice??? I am referring to goth of the '80's. The "basement" voice. The basement voice is okay - not great - but I don't dislike it.
Musically, I like this album and I always thought their music was more diverse than Interpol. Maybe, I am just partial to music that uses electronics and wall of sound guitars. Good, strong album.

Great Northern - Trading Twilight for Daylight
Listen here.
I am a sucker for the female voice and boy does she have a voice!!! I got this album because of the voice. This is a band of 2boys and 2girls (I think) and their is often the interplay of male/female voices (much like Stars, Viva Voce, etc.) but it is primarily female vocals.
The music is separated into their slow tempo, dreamy, vibey songs and their upbeat, smart, poppy beach songs. I think they are at their best with the grand, dreamy, vibey songs, but I understand that is where my taste lies.












5 comments:

shakedust said...

I don't care for Hootie because of the man voice, and I am on the fence about Third Day and Pearl Jam. I actually like Creed and Collective Soul, though.

I can see (or hear) why Interpol and Editors are compared. They are very similar. I was actually thinking that while I was listening to the MySpace music and before I read your comment on it.

Achtung BB said...

I thought that Interpol has matured in their songwriting but not greatly leaving behind their sound. I love the Editors. I think they are sounding bigger and more polished (like Coldplay's X&Y),but it works for them.

f o r r e s t said...

Dust,
Careful!
I wouldn't admit "I actually like Creed" in public too much.
I don't know what will happen, but just a warning.

Dash said...

Blurker's note: I would avoid trashing the man voice when in a classroom with a quiet guy named Jeremy.

hoot hoot hoot hoot

Jeremy spoke in ... spoke in
Jeremy spoke in ... spoke in
.. class todayyyyy

hoot hoot hoot hoot

shakedust said...

I am aware of the general music snob opinion of Creed. Maybe that encourages me to count the band as a guilty pleasure.