Sunday, April 30, 2006

not a big change, I still look the same

I had a friend in 6th grade named Travis and he wore glasses. One time I spent the night at his house and he took his glasses off. He looked different and weird. His eyes seemed further back than I imagined and his eye sockets appeared dark. Those were things I never noticed when he has his glasses on. It was the whole Clark Kent/Superman thing in reverse.

I think some people can look drastically different with glasses and some can look the same. I can only judge myself from my point of view, but based on comments I think I am one who looks the same whether I wear glasses or not. People don't seem to notice.

I wonder if the same thing is true with facial hair.

As many of you may have noticed, I grew a beard over this last Christmas and I just shaved it off about a month ago. No one said anything. I went into work the next day and not one comment. I don't believe that anybody reading this made a comment either. Usually, BB will point out anything different on a person as he asked me about my new bag today, but no comment about the missing beard. In fact, I think I had to point it out to Vernal before she noticed.

So I wonder, do some people look quite the same with or without facial hair? I believe so and I think I fall into that category. My dad on the otherhand looks quite different when he loses his mustache.

One time, I talked a fellow coworker into shaving his gotee. He said that he has no chin. He was right, he didn't have a chin and he looked funny.

9 comments:

shakedust said...

I think you look more different with a beard than without. When I saw you with a beard I was still remembering you without a beard. When you shaved it, I still hadn't gotten to the point where I anticipated seeing a beard.

That is my take at least.

f o r r e s t said...

I had the beard for over 3 months!!!

dwhitey said...

Post a pic with and without the beard so we can check it! Mr. B looks very similar with and without a beard. He looks a little more hispanic with the beard or gotee. I look pretty different with either. This reminds me of the book I am going to write in my spare time called "Fun with Facial Hair". Do you think it would sell, or would anyone notice? d

GoldenSunrise said...

Actually, I think you do look different with glasses. I usually notice when you aren't wearing glasses. Like last Wednesday night, you did not wear glasses and it stuck out to me. I didn't say anything.

My opinion is that most people don't bring up changes in regards to if you have your glasses on or off, or if you have shaved that day. Maybe architects and designers bring it up. : )

Stephanie said...

You looked different in the church directory!

Achtung BB said...

I think some of it has to do with age and how long you have had the beard. I knew you were going to shave it as the weather got warmer, so I wasn't surprised

f o r r e s t said...

Look at you all trying to defend yourselves.

Golden, it doesn't matter the occupation, most people don't comment on whether some one frogot to shave that day or not, or if they decided not to wear their glasses. But I have noticed that most people will comment when someone starts to grow a beard and when someone shaves it. Or when a long time glasses wearer gets contacts.

I think a lot of you are misinterpreting what is meant by looking different from noticing that a person is wearing glasses.

Since, I wear my glassed 50% of the time it is no shock to anyone that I look different. I look like the same person with plastic glasses. Also, I spend half my week unshaven, so when facial hair becomes a beard, I really don't look all that different. Yes, you'll notice hair - that is obvious, but you'll still know that it is me. Others aren't that obvious.

Seminole, that is no fair to pull out the church directory. Everyone looks different in that directory.

Stephanie said...

Yes, but you and Magrelo looked REALLY different!

windarkwingod said...

Crap! I'm missing your "moda" brother!