Wednesday, April 12, 2006

trash night

It is 11:53 p.m.

I just gathered all the trash in the house, put it in the cans, and drug them out to the street. I then grabbed the recycling bin and also put it near the street.

I feel like I am always the last person on my block to take out the trash the night before, as I am always doing it a few minutes before midnight. I don't hear anyone else dragging their cans across the concrete driveway. In fact, I look both directions and everyone has their set in place. And many have their trash on the curb by the time I pull in after a full day of work. (cough, cough, neighbor to the west.)

What does this say about me?

I go to bed late.

I remember at the last minute.

It's my chore to do before I go to bed vs. before I eat dinner.

It's my last priority of the day.

I'm lucky if I remember.

I am busy because I get home, I change clothes, I eat, I go to church with my oldest son, we come home, we put him to bed, I read him books, I watch Lost, I gather the trash, I put it on the curb - it is 11:45.

It's perfect - the timing is right.

It is kinda nice viewing the street in the stillness of the night and wondering if I am the last to put out my trash.

8 comments:

windarkwingod said...

I also share that micro-moment of solitude. We just use huge neighborhood bins here that are picked up everyday. So its always a nice walk, but I can't do it in my boxers anymore like I use to in Dash's hood.

f o r r e s t said...

Darewin,
you brought up a good point. Since, I know that street is pretty empty at midnight there have been many times that I do the job in my boxers.

GoldenSunrise said...

Mental note: Don't take a drive down Forrest's 'hood at midnight.

I am impressed that you take the trash out the night before. I am usually the one to take the trash out around 7:45 am. And yes everyone else's is out already. On Mondays the trash comes a little before 8 am. On Thursdays, the trash comes closer to 9 am.

Stephanie said...

We are usually the morning trash people as well. Many times right when I hear the truck rolling down the street. So, come be my neighbor and you will never be last again!

f o r r e s t said...

The morning is too early for me and requires to much thought.

shakedust said...

If I do it, it is because Golden reminded me or I remembered the night before. We are not supposed to put trash out until the day before it is to be collected. One of our neighbors down the street almost always has trash by the curb, though. :)

T said...

we're usually the first to put our trash out, now that it's a "chore" the kids come home and I have them take it out (if I remember) but between the three of us we're getting pretty good at it! (Insert "How many does it take to get the trash out?" joke here!)

Dash said...

Now that the kids are taking out the trash, I'll have to find another reason to stage my boxer rebellion. I now have to wait (horribly) until the kids go to bed.

N no longer believes that they are "shorts" - darn!.