Monday, October 10, 2005

Surprises in Jackets

Now that the weather actually justifies wearing jackets, I have pulled a few out the last couple of days. I am a jacket and coat guy. It is always exciting to put on a different jacket.

Since I have too many jackets to count, this also starts a season of discovery. You never know what little treasures you'll discover inside those pockets. What memories archived from the past will present itself on an abandoned ticket stub.

With the unveiling of three jackets, I have found:
  • A grocery list written by Vernal. (sending me to the store is always dangerous as usually the list to me is seen as an outline.)
  • A list of bands that I should check out recommended by my friend Mamun. (thank you for the Stars recommendation.)
  • A flyer for upcoming shows at the Bottleneck. (Nobody worth seeing, obivously.)
  • A half-full pack of gum. (still good!)
  • A ticket stub for a train ride from Vienna to Prague. (some of my jackets like to travel.)
This is just the beginning. I should make a collage every fall.

On a side note (this is dedicated to Dust):
When the weather changes from the hot scorching wearing shorts and t-shirts to a comfortable not hot, but not too cool there is a dressing pattern for guys that is displayed in two ways. The weather I am discribing is a sunny day in the 60's to mid-70's. A jacket is not necessary, nor are shorts.

Most guys will either react to this weather by wearing:
  1. jeans and a t-shirt
  2. shorts and a long sleve t-shirt
If you want to know which one is the best and right way, check out the option Shakedust chooses. :)

Here is another thing that I do not get and it is something I witnessed yesterday. I saw a guy who was wearing a jacket also wearing flip-flop sandals. Were is the logic in that choice? Is it cold out or not? It's like wearing tube socks with Teva's???

12 comments:

shakedust said...

Wow, to have a section of a post dedicated to me. It's fitting that this is in relation to guys' general lack of fashion, I guess.

I will say that I have done both the shorts and long sleeves and short sleeves and jeans. I know there is one I do much more frequently, though.

Also, the reason I personally don't wear Tevas is that I don't like to be without socks and I know the general reaction to the combo.

gigi said...

A jacket and flip-flops... yes that's dumb, however... my absolute favorite thing to wear when the weather begins to turn, when you are just kind of hanging out... not going anywhere special, is a cozy sweatshirt and shorts! Oh... I love this! It is just so comfy!

It also reminds me of when Jeff and I first started dating. It was January and he would always come over with a warm cozy nebraska sweatshirt, shorts and his baseball hat on backwards! OOO what a hotty!

f o r r e s t said...

Now Dust, I never said anything about those styles pertaining to a lack of fashion. I am a jeans and t-shirt guy, but others are shorts and long sleve people (the north face crowd) and they look good too! I am just pointing out two ways to make a transition.

Dash said...

I really enjoy the shorts and a swetshirt thing too. In fact I've often been accused of wearing sweatshirts too much.

I was feeling especially casual yesterday when I wore jeans, a long sleeve shirt, and sandals to church. Now because I'm convinced that my feet are not all that attractive, I wear socks with this sort of an outfit.

One of the ushers commented on my sandals and I replied - oh darn ... I forgot, I'm not supposed to wear white socks after labor day ... I should have worn the gray ones.

write it down - dash made a fashion joke.

GoldenSunrise said...

Dust wears t-shirts and jeans all year long. In cooler weather, he puts a fleece or coat on. Dust was your #1 and Dash was your #2.

I like jackets. Some of my jackets do not have pockets, so there is no treasure to be found.

Stephanie said...

(don't yell at me, I'm taking a break)

I love sweatshirts and shorts.
I also wear flip flops with sweatshirts and pants, a jacket, anything. Until there is snow, there are flip flops. This is bases on complete laziness. I hate finding socks, and shoes take much longer to put on. If I have a jacket, I'll stay warm enough.

As for the pockets of jackets...I love that about Fall. Today I found my JCCC ID, which I've already replaced because it was lost. Now I have a spare. Yeah! There's nothing better than finding ten bucks in your pocket.

MsMayhem said...

I love the shorts and long sleeve tee look on guys. I also love coats-blazers and denim jackets are my favorite. You can have on jeans and a T shirt and when you add a funky blazer you have a totally different look. I love Fall!!!
Sandals and socks are a huge no no...Just find a cute pair of tennies instead-I have on pink Chuck Taylors today....

f o r r e s t said...

A big hoo-ray for Chucks.
The other day I realized that I have been wearing chucks on and off since 1987.

Achtung BB said...

I usually find movie ticket stubs in my jacket

gigi said...

I usually find an old lip gloss or chapstick! And it's so fun!

But the worst thing to find is an old decaying tissue. Gross.

Anonymous said...

I think Seminole is taking a break (a break from fashion) hehe!

f o r r e s t said...

My stance of sandals and socks is this:

Under no cirmcumstances should one ever wear white tube socks with sandals.

You should never wear socks with sport sandals. If they are made to get wet - no socks. If they are made of rubber, nylon, plastic, and velcro - no socks.

If you wear a leather based sandal, you may wear colored wool socks.

Now Vernal, to the best of my knowledge I don't remeber wearing the wool socks with Birks combo on the KU campus. Maybe one evening around the door room. It must have been a very short phase if there was one. I have never been comfortable wearing sandals in public.