Tuesday, October 04, 2005

i love my ipod, but........part IV

Okay, I am taking heat for this and I am sure a lot of people are rolling their eyes, thinking I am obsessed. I can assure that I am not obsessed, just wordy. This series was suppose to be one post, but since I have no editor and just write as things pop in my head, I can get a bit carried away. So, I thought I would break apart my three personal observations about how the new digital music players are affecting my music listening habits and how I need to fight for experiencing the same joys I did as a kid discovering music. (I wasn’t planning on writing any of the above and here I am getting wordy again.) My previous observations were the loss of the mixtape and how difficult it is to share your music, (on honest terms.)

My third observation and (I will try to make this quick) is how disconnected I am becoming with the actual product of music. There is a loss of tactile sensation from holding a CD, Cassette Tape, or Record. Cassette Tapes use to have a certain smell, when you would rip off the plastic. I still by CD’s, but usually I only handle them once to upload the music to the computer and then it gets stored away. I refuse to buy digital, because I got to have a hardcopy and need to have the artwork. I consider the album artwork very important in the way it reflects visually what is heard audibly.

A few months ago, I ordered a 7” ep from a band that I really like. I don’t have a record player, but I know someone who does and could make mp3’s from the record. It was really cool getting a 7” in the mail. Pulling the record out of it’s packaging and holding it by it’s edges, wondering what it sounds like. The record was blue and white marbleized; really cool looking. I think I would like to get a record player. How cool is it to put the needle on the record, to hear the scratches, listen to side A, then flip it to side B after a short intermission.

I think I’ll stop now.




17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have an impressive blog here! Excellent job.

shakedust said...

Was that picture from the "fashion show" that Vernal told us about?

There is something cool about physically handling the disc, tape, whatever, but I am lazy enough that I would usually rather not have to deal with switching CDs or tapes in the player.

GoldenSunrise said...

I wish I hadn't gotten rid of some of my records. My parents had some Karen Carpenter records and a "Grease" record, but they gave it to my brother. He has a dj business that he does on the side. He has been a dj for weddings and parties. He is in the process of putting a website together at www.djoldskewl.com

Achtung BB said...

I love my ipod too. There's nothing like going to bed while listening to your ipod

Stephanie said...

When my parents split up 6 years ago, I had to go and clean out my dad's apartment with him. He told me to take what I want and trash the rest. (mom had already moved and took nothing). I threw away a pile of records that was two feet tall. Magrelo was MAD at me. He begged me to stop. All I could see was clutter. We've had those records my whole life. Sometimes, I should listen to Magrelo.

We also had a 8-track player, right next to the record player. People thought I was cool because I actually had one.

Stephanie said...

Sorry, one more memory. Hardees handed out records (part 1, part 2) with happy meals as a promotion for the Gremlins movie. The records were read along and came with the book as well. I had all the books and used MY record player in my room (I was like 7) to listen to them all the time.

f o r r e s t said...

Dust - there was no fashion show, but there was a photo shoot. I was trying to come up with a new profile pic.
R U gonna B lazy 4ever?

Seminole - I was not allowed to see Gremlins as a kid because it was PG-13 and I totally wanted to. But on our way down to junior camp they stopped at hardies and I got a couple of those records and books. I couldn't listen to the records, since I didn't have a record player, but the books were cool.

Stephanie said...

I can't believe anyone else remembers the Hardees books. I loved Gremlins! I probably wouldn't let my kids see it either. Did anyone have the Smurf glasses that Hardees gave away? We had the whole collection.

f o r r e s t said...

Man, Hardees used to have great toy's and collectables. I haven't been to Hardees in years.

Dash said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dash said...

BB ... wouldn't you need two sets of earbuds to make that work? Do they sell those???

shakedust said...

R U gonna B lazy 4ever?

Hopefully.

T said...

records rock. We had great stuff from Hardee's glasses were a big thing. But the most memorable Hardees gift I got was my last stuffed animal from my parents. My dad bought me a Pammy bear from Hardee's and gave it to me as surprise. He had seen it and gotten for me while he was at lunch. :)

f o r r e s t said...

I could swear at some point in the '80's Hardees had a glasses with StarWars scenes on them and I think I had a couple.

Drinking was so much fun.

Stephanie said...

I think you're right about the Star Wars glasses. I don't know what a Pammy bear is?

gigi said...

Five times? You and pierre-whats-his-name probably just wanted to smooch in the theatre! ;)

gigi said...

How do you spell THEATRE? Is it THEATRE or THEATER? Why do I always want to spell it THEATRE. Did I just make that up?

Tyler always thought the word was pronounced THEETER. Seriously... ask him... it was like up until two years ago or something. It was so funny. I just never corrected him when he was little because I thought it was so cute...