Wednesday, October 26, 2005

halloween costume progress pictures

I have been documenting the different stages of making a Halloween costume with pictures. My two boys are going to be two trains this year - Thomas and Percy. This is the making of Thomas.

I was lucky one day at work last week. They ordered some new filing cabinets and each cabinet was padded in this 3/4" cardboard. I collected about 6 sheets thinking that this would make a great frame.

I drew Thomas to the right size by scaling the wooden toy that Goose has. I measured Goose to make sure he would fit. I then cut out the pieces that would comprise the frame and shell.

Next, I glued all those pieces together and you can see that Thomas is taking form. Vernal and Goose colored Thomas on an extra sheet of that I had of Thomas' dimenisions.

I then found paper tubes for the funnel and a paper ball for the dome. I used chip board to make the body over the frame. Goose will "wear" Thomas as his little body will fit inside the cab.

Thomas is now painted, with some close attention to detail. There are a few things left that I need to add. I am thinking about adding buffers on the front (???) and maybe the whistle. But, I am taking a break from Thomas to start on Percy. Percy will be much smaller and more compact to fit a one year old.

9 comments:

Dash said...

cool .....

that certainly beats any costume I've ever worn.

T said...

Great costume!

Achtung BB said...

Pretty impressive custom. Woogy would really dig it. He is going to be Bob the Builder. We couldn't get him to take it off when we got it for him

shakedust said...

That is amazing. Makes my sheet with the eye holes cut out sound a little boring.

Stephanie said...

Thanks for crumbling my aspirations of "super mom". Power Rangers $19.99 for us! The train is super cool. But can he jump in the moon walk without ruining it. (Debbie downer's "whaw whaw"

f o r r e s t said...

Are you kidding?
After all the work I am putting into this, I'm not going to let him wear it! :)

GoldenSunrise said...

You missed your calling designing toys and costumes! Very impressive.

Stephanie said...

I wouldn't let him wear it either. I think you should wear it. Vernal can be percy.

roamingwriter said...

Cool costume. My best ever was a jawa costume my parents invented. I think I wore it two years. It even had lights for the red eyes. This will be one they'll remember.