Tuesday, October 25, 2005

the music survey and market research

I have done enough of these market research groups to understand what kind of an audience they are looking for. First you sign up with one of these research agencies. Then, randomly, you may get a call from a researcher who is looking for people who fit a certain criteria. This person will ask you a few questions over the phone to see if you fit the bill. If you do, you'll take part in a study, mostly a discussion with a facilitator. You give your opinion on a product and you get paid for your time. I like that part, because it is fun money.

I feel like to get into these surveys I have to dumb myself down. (Basically Lie) It depends on the subject and how much I want some extra money. If I am honest over the phone, most likely I will not fit the criteria. I could tell that one of these phone conversations wanted people who ate at Applebee's like 4-8 times a month. Do people like that exist? I have maybe eaten at Applebee's once in the last 5 years.

But I figure, Applebee's must write people like me off. Those who are very opinionated on food, we are never going to win over. Let's focus our studies on the majority of society who like comfort and familiarity. Usually, I fudge my answers a little, but I still don't need the criteria.

The opportunity to take a music survey came up. I am very excited about music and have strong opinions on music. This is right up my alley. But I had to lie. It was for a radio station. The need guys in my age group. They asked me what radio stations I like. I don't listen to the radio. I buy my own music. I told her I flip around to find good songs. She said she needed some names of stations. I listed a few...ones that I could remember. She asked me what my favorite station is. I asked her which one does it need to be. (This is the point at which the wrong answer will result in a "thank you, you do not fit our criteria.") I had to say 93.3 or better yet 95.7. So, I said 95.7.

I was in. $40 to give my opinions on music.

I had a day to do a little research on the station: Annoying DJ's with stupid nicknames and girls with husky voices. A lot a mindless celebrity gossip. Horrible music.

There were probably close to 100-150 people taking this survey. By the looks of some of the people there, I don't think I was the only one to lie. The facilitator said that they wanted to know what music Kansas City likes to listen to, what he really meant to say is what music does listeners of 95.7 like to listen to.

They played 400 songs in 5 second intervals. 95% of the songs were hip-hop/R&B. The other 5% was a mixture a young angry white teenagers. Needless to say I disliked most of the music. I was honest; they wanted to know what Kansas City likes. I took the survey and collected my money.

But...a week later I got a phone call. She said on the survey I did not fill out my favorite radio station. They asked if the directions were not given clearly. I said they were and I answered that I flip stations to find good songs. She said that I did not like most of the songs, but on my phone survey I said that 95.7 was my favorite radio station. That is the type of music that they play on that station. (BUSTED!) I replied, "oh, I thought it was a different format."

So, what's the point of having a survey if you are just preaching to the choir? And how come they are not interested in providing a more diverse format with the goal of playing the best music possible to win back the discernable listeners. So instead of becoming a unique and stand-out radio station, they just want to be a little bit better than the other 3 stations that sound exactly like them.

Time to make another mix tape...

6 comments:

shakedust said...

Did you feel like an imposter? :)

Remember, the point of every marketing survey is to make more money. They know that specific people are going to tune into their station, so they want to know how to market to them directly.

What I want to know, though, is why they wanted more male survey takers. Obviously, if your target audience is not mostly men, what is the point of adding them to the survey.

Dash said...

This little lie of mine
I'm gonna let it slide
...let it slide
...let it slide
let it slide.

I guess they were just throwing the money out the window anyway and weren't planning on actually using the survey data from the target market. So it's not exactly like stealing.

just a lie

f o r r e s t said...

It is just strange. I know the whole point is to make more money, but how? You already have your costumer base and I guess you can be happy and satisfied with them and survey them to keep them happy. But I think it would be knowledgable to know why those who are not customers don't buy into the product.

Maybe some people don't eat at applebee's because their comericals are annoying. A small change could gain new customers = more money.

f o r r e s t said...

NO STEALING going on. I got paid for my work. No lies during the survey - my answers were honest.

Did you feel like an imposter?

No, but listening to the music made me feel like I should be wearing a really, really baggy sweat suit with a towel over my shoulder.

Stephanie said...

I think Magrelo said he liked most of the songs. But he also would love to wear a really baggy sweat suit with a towel over his shoulder.

f o r r e s t said...

Yes, Magrelo was singing to most of the song. He was joined by a few brothers behind us. :)