Friday, May 13, 2005

The Year of Trying New Things to Eat

...or maybe it isn't so much of trying new things, but giving a lot of old things a second chance.

I have my new years resolution figured out and I am in the process of re-elvaluating why I don't like certain foods and drinks.

I am trying to learn to like tomatos, coffee and other beverages. I used to always pull tomatos off of my sandwiches, but this year I am leaving them on. (babysteps)

I have also been giving fish another shot. I used to eat fish when I was younger, but somehow I had a bad episode that turned me off.

I am trying to learn to like coffee. I love the mochas and the latte's and the smell of coffee, but plain coffee is something I have never been a fan of. I am giving coffee a more serious shot this year. It helps when I add creamer and sugar, but I am coming around. (My mom and grandma will be proud.)

Mushrooms? I don't know if I am ready for them yet.

11 comments:

shakedust said...

As a coffee addict, I am happy to see someone new to the fold.

I have never been able to understand how someone could like fish, though. Though I don't particularly care most of it I at least understand liking other seafood like shrimp, calamari, clam, crab, etc. I don't understand fish, though. How can something that smells so wrong be so right?

f o r r e s t said...

The fishy smell and taste is what grosses me out. I have had some good fish with out that smell and taste. So many people are crazy about fish, so there must be something good about it.

T said...

I admire your desire to stretch you taste buds. I am not so brave. I'd like to hear what you decide by the end of the year!

Jadee said...

Halibut is good...it has a natural buttery taste. Of course, I only like FRESH seafood. I'm a little spoiled growing up in Alaska and from visiting my Aunt/Uncle in Florida! So don't attempt too much change on the fish from here in the midwest. If you do, its best to go on a Wednesday...trucks travel on Monday to deliver by Wednesday to be stocked for the weekend. Always ask when their fish was delivered.

As far as tomatoes...I am trying to leave mine on my sandwiches too!

roamingwriter said...

Did you run across something that reminded you of your resolutions this May? Interesting about trying new things. I still feel obligated to eat one bite of everything the way I had to as a kid. Yesterday in fact, I ate a brussel sprout at my parents' house. It wasn't as bad as the time before. I think this year I may end up trying a lot of things eventually food wise...knowing what they are will be yet another thing.

GoldenSunrise said...

I always take the pickles off of my hamburgers and sandwhiches. Maybe I should try to leave them on. I know Roaming likes pickles-maybe I should leave them on my plate for her. : )

Jadee said...

That's great teamwork of sharing, Golden! When I was married, we had it worked out where I took the tomatoes off my sandwich and he put them on his sandwich! At Subway, I would eat half of my foot-long sub and he would eat his sub plus the extra half of mine. Of course, this changed when I was pregnant...and he didn't know what to think when I slapped his hand because I WAS GOING TO EAT THE WHOLE SANDWICH! LOL! Don't mess with a pregnant woman's food!!! =D

windarkwingod said...

I like catfish. They're known as bottom-feeders because they eat filth off the bottom of the pond. I like the pond taste - the swampier the better for me!

Achtung BB said...

I might suggest avoiding mushrooms. They are fungus

Achtung BB said...

I might suggest avoiding mushrooms. They are fungus

Doc said...

Just so long as it is not fruit trash.