Monday, May 23, 2005

Long Live Half-Fridays

I love my half-Fridays. At my new job, I get every other Friday afternoon off. We work 8.5 hour days Monday thru Thursday, so that extra half an hour adds up to four hours every two weeks. It almost feels like a Memorial Day weekend. It is a nice feeling on Thursday night to be thinking that I only have four hours to work and then I am out at noon. It is the same feeling I had in college on Thursday nights. Thursday nights were my favorite. It was the start of the weekend. I remember at midnight, some Fraternity or Schol-hall would chant something like “happy loopy day, happy loopy day….” and then there was a chant back from somewhere else. I would usually have a four hour studio Friday morning and then be done for the week. The class was just the car trip you had to take to get to the campsite. You looked forward to going because you knew that it would soon be over and that you could fully partake in the weekend. That is what my half-Friday feels like. I wake up with an extra bounce in my step, get to work, talk to others about weekend plans, get busy with real work and before you know it; time is up. The next week is a full week, but half-Friday is right around the corner.
Long live half-Fridays!

4 comments:

shakedust said...

I will not be jealous, I will not be jealous, I will not be jealous...

windarkwingod said...

I like that 8.5 idea. A half hour extra would go by fast. Its the little things in life that make it delightful.

Doc said...

I may have more choice than others in this area, but I don't think I would take a permanent job if it did not allow for only a 4-4.5 day work week. It does make a huge difference for weekend plans.

roamingwriter said...

Flexibility means a lot in a job! What a neat idea to keep employees happy without a lot of effort or any lost work time.