Tuesday, January 23, 2007

257 - December Music

Here are the new albums I picked up in the month of December. Thanks to Santa and gift certificates the month of December and January have been good.


Bill Mallonee - Yonder Shines the Infant Light

This is a Christmas album, but it is not necessarily Christmas music. They are songs about Christ's birth and it's effect on mankind. I bought this as a digital download through billmallonee.net. Originally, this release was a 5 or 6 song e.p. but fans requested the inclusion of a few of his older Christmas songs that were released through various compilations throughout the years. So now the album fleshes out around 11 songs. I must say I love it. I find Bill at his songwriting best and musically it is also steller. It is guitar jangle-pop delight. There are also a couple of instrumentals that are really good. Oh, did I mention that all the songs are orignial with the exception (I think) of an old hymn.


Over the Rhine - Snow Angels

This is Over the Rhine's second Christmas album. The first (the Darkest Night of the Year) has been a favorite of mine and was released 10 years ago, so they thought it was about time for a new one. This collection also contains orignal songs about the Christmas season covering everything from Christ's birth to the homecoming of a soilder to holiday romance and maybe heartbreak. The music is cozy and warm with piano, acoustic instruments including guitars and upright bass, voice, and subtle percussion. Their song "Darlin' (Christmas is coming)" has the makings to be a classic in the holiday canon if it was given the chance. But such is the life of an independent artist.Regina Spektor - Begin to Hope

A Russian born, New York bred singer/songwriter who has been tagged as writing quirky songs...This album ranges from left of center pop songs with drum loops and synth effects to intimate piano and voice. Listen here.

Rosie Thomas - These Friends of Mine
I love this album. This was released only on iTunes. It will be released as a proper cd sometime in March I believe. She has good friends. Sufjan Stevens and Denison Witmer recorded, played, and sang in all these songs with Rosie. The music is very beautiful, with acoustic guitars, minimal percussion, and layers of voice. It has a very cool and dreamy sound with lots of references to New York in the wintertime.
Listen here.

Juana Molina - Son

This was my surprise album of the year. This is so good. It's a late night or when you need mood music in the background. She is from Argentina and all the songs are sung in Spanish. It's hard to describe the music. It has elements of folk with acoustic guitars, but I think it would more fairly be described a electronic, but that is not to fair either, because it has an organic feel to it. The voice work is amazing...lots of vocal effects and layering. All the electronics are subtle, meaning there is nothing techno about this. With each listen the songs reveal a bit more. Very interesting and very good.
Listen here.
Snow Patrol - Eyes Open

I had heard so many good things about this album. It does not disappoint it is a very solid album. It is straight ahead rock without many suprises - good songs though. The more upbeat songs remind me of Switchfoot in music and vocals. I like their more mid-tempo songs best.
Listen here.

3 comments:

shakedust said...

BB got his wish. :)

As you know, I know very little about these musicians. They pick nice cover art, though.

Achtung BB said...

I'm glad you like the Snow Patrol. It doesn't really remind me of Switchfoot. I'll have to check out the Bill Mallonee. I love that jangle pop

f o r r e s t said...

Dust, if you want to know a bit about these artist try listening to their myspace. Then you can say my choice in music is bloody awful.

BB, just the first two track have that switchfoot vibe. The rest of the album is much better.