Wednesday, September 06, 2006

238 - August Recap: music and books

Now that the month of August has come to an end, it is time for me to look back at the new records the I've been listening to and my monthly book that I have read.

Tilly and the Wall - Bottoms of Barrels
The first thing anybody mentions about this band is the unique percussion style - that is a tapdancer as their percussion. TATW is a very unique sounding band because of the tap dancing and foot stomping and hand claps...very organic with horns, organs, acoustic guitars, keys and a trio of harmonic vocals.

Leigh Nash - Blue on Blue
Leigh first solo album since the break-up of Sixpence None the Richer finds her doing accessible and smart adult alternative pop.
Sigur Ros - Saeglopur EP
The Saeglopur EP has an extended version of Saeglopur plus three new songs of beauty. Along with this EP is a DVD that includes three of their music videos from Takk... The videos are powerful cinematic stories the describe the music or is it the other way around?

Erik Larson - The Devil in the White City
"A thousand trains a day entered or left Chicago." - is the first line of this book that reads like a novel but is the true story of the Chicago Worlds Fair (The Columbian Exposition) that took place in the early 1890's. This story follows the lives of two men who were linked by this historic event. The first man is Daniel Burnham who was the Architect responsible for this daunting task of designing and building the Fair in a short amount of time. The second man is H.H. Holmes - considered America's first serial killer whose warm charm lured many young women visiting a "big city" for the first time into his hotel or "castle."

5 comments:

shakedust said...

I heard Leigh Nash on Musak in a store yesterday. She has a very good voice. Is her new CD much different from her previous 6pence work?

Achtung BB said...

I kind on digged the tap dancing song. Pretty unique

windarkwingod said...

I have seen that book cover! Have you ever read "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand? It is another novel about architecture and innovation. I've heard that it is inspiring...

f o r r e s t said...

dust - the leigh nash is similar to sixpence, but probably more accessible - radio friendly - along the lines of Sarah McCloughlin (sp) or Natalie Merchant or Dido.

Darwin - I have not read the fountainhead yet. One of these days I plan to. I have seen the old b&w movie version, but I hear it is not very similar to the book. That book is huge.

roamingwriter said...

The book sounds interesting. It sounds like they chose two key people to carry it. A great idea. The world fair ground, or maybe it was an expo, in Barcelona are deserted, abandoned and scary. They need to take them off the bus city tour.

My next non-fiction I'm starting is about the social impact of meals during the age of the first church. This is research for something I'm working on. I'm going to start one of the novels I bought in London too. Now THAT I'm excited about.